Mailing List Capacity Limits

Chip Childers

Apr 10, 2015, 5:53:05 PM4/10/15
to Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers, BOSH Users
All,

We are beginning to bump up on some of the hard limits of the Google Group platform, and will have to begin the process of migration to a new mailing list tool. Some of you may be seeing dropped messages and / or getting return receipts informing you of group quota's being exceeded. This is the result of hitting the limits.

I just asked the foundation IT team to begin the planning process for this move, so I don't have any details about how / what / when yet. I'll update when I know more.

-chip

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Chip Childers

Apr 15, 2015, 2:54:53 PM4/15/15
to Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers, BOSH Users
An update on this. We are likely to initiate a move from Google Groups over to mailman for the development and user lists. I'll update as the schedule is solidified.

In addition to that move, I want to rename "vcap-dev" to "dev". Any objections to that change?

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Matthew Sykes

Apr 15, 2015, 9:08:16 PM4/15/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers
Since this has ben cross-posted, it looks like this change may impact more than just the 'vcap-dev' list. Is your goal to merge them all into one list?

Personally, I like the separation of bosh and cloud foundry and hope a similar structure is preserved.

Assuming the separation remains, are we looking at something like bosh-dev and dev (at) mailman.cloudfoundry.org?

Thanks.

Matthew Sykes
matthe...@gmail.com

Wayne E. Seguin

Apr 15, 2015, 9:10:11 PM4/15/15
to bosh-users
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Chip Childers <cchi...@cloudfoundry.org> wrote:
An update on this. We are likely to initiate a move from Google Groups over to mailman for the development and user lists. I'll update as the schedule is solidified.

In addition to that move, I want to rename "vcap-dev" to "dev". Any objections to that change?

Wouldn't cf-dev make more sense / be more consistent with bosh-dev ?

Chip Childers

Apr 21, 2015, 4:19:37 PM4/21/15
to Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers, BOSH Users
Based on feedback from the community, we will be doing the following:

vcap-dev@ will be renamed to dev@ < This is the default dev list for when there is not a project specific list
bosh-dev@ and bosh-users@ will be transitioned to bosh@
lattice@ will move to the new setup as well

I've asked for a specific migration plan from the team, which I expect shortly. This will let me give you timing and user experience specifics in my next email on the subject.

-chip

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 21, 2015, 4:38:32 PM4/21/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org, Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers
dev@ will make it pretty hard to google.

Chip Childers

Apr 21, 2015, 4:43:40 PM4/21/15
to BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers, BOSH Developers
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Dmitriy Kalinin <dkal...@pivotal.io> wrote:
dev@ will make it pretty hard to google.

Can you explain what you mean a little more please?

Dmitriy Kalinin

Apr 21, 2015, 4:53:13 PM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers
Currently finding something on 'vcap-dev' is possible by just googling and usually including vcap-dev. If we switch to a very non-unique name like 'dev', assuming that contents of the mailing list will be indexed by google, it is not clear what unique keyword people would use to limit their searches.

Chip Childers

Apr 21, 2015, 5:01:57 PM4/21/15
to BOSH Developers, BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers
Understood!

Happy to entertain alternative suggestions here, but I'd note that "CF" is the name for the overall collective of software we work on here.

One other point (and perhaps this addresses the concern) is that dev@ would actually be an alias to a more canonical address of cff-dev@ (mailman will be using cff to namespace everything). Would that solve the issue?

-chip

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Wayne E. Seguin

Apr 21, 2015, 6:50:40 PM4/21/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers
How about simply:

    cloudfoundry@
    bosh@

No real need to distinguish -dev/-users IMHO.

Chip Childers

Apr 22, 2015, 9:48:34 AM4/22/15
to BOSH Developers, BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers
Perhaps general@ instead of cloudfoundry@? I want us to collectively understand that Cloud Foundry is the whole collection of software. We might have specific lists for projects like bosh and lattice, but everything is Cloud Foundry.

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Wayne E. Seguin

Apr 22, 2015, 11:22:09 AM4/22/15
to bosh-users, BOSH Developers, Cloud Foundry Developers

Cornelia Davis

Apr 22, 2015, 1:22:10 PM4/22/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users, BOSH Developers, Cloud Foundry Developers
cf-ers@ and cf-bosh@ and cf-lattice@ ?

Sent from my iPhone

James Bayer

Apr 23, 2015, 5:16:23 PM4/23/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users
as a long time member of these lists i have strong opinions, but they are just one person's opinion. i find the "cff" as part of each lists name suggesting awkward and redundant to the namespacing.

i'd prefer something like this:

us...@cloudfoundry.org (most of what vcap-dev is)
d...@cloudfoundry.org (specific questions for people developing runtime / diego PMC stuff)

bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org (existing bosh-users)
bosh...@cloudfoundry.org (existing bosh-dev)

lattic...@cloudfoundry.org (what is currently lattice@)
latti...@cloudfoundry.org (new list for those wanted to develop lattice)

to be more explicit for the main runtime, we could do:

i think it's always easy to search a particular list with the google "site:https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!forum/vcap-dev" approach, so i don't like keeping a more obscure label in the lists for searchability myself.
--
Thank you,

James Bayer

Christopher Ferris

Apr 23, 2015, 5:46:53 PM4/23/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, BOSH Users, Cloud Foundry Developers
how about cf-* where * is whatever subset of the overall discussion?

cf-dev
cf-users
cf-operators
cf-bosh
cf-random

Sent from my iPhone

Christopher Ferris

Apr 23, 2015, 5:47:15 PM4/23/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users
what she said

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Sherrod

Apr 24, 2015, 9:00:42 AM4/24/15
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
I vote for what James Bayer said.

James Bayer

Apr 25, 2015, 6:43:32 AM4/25/15
to bosh-users, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
i did hear a bit more from the cloud foundry foundation / linux foundation team that would be hosting the mailman lists. we do need to namespace them with a prefix each separate list due to their hosting configuration. chip please correct me if i got any of this wrong.

my preference is cf vs cff. examples:

cf-u...@cloudfoundry.org (most of what vcap-dev is)
cf-...@cloudfoundry.org (specific questions for people developing runtime / diego PMC stuff)

cf-bos...@cloudfoundry.org (existing bosh-users)
cf-bo...@cloudfoundry.org (existing bosh-dev)

cf-latti...@cloudfoundry.org (what is currently lattice@)
cf-latt...@cloudfoundry.org (new list for those wanted to develop lattice)

to be more explicit for the main runtime, we could do:
Thank you,

James Bayer

Wayne E. Seguin

Apr 25, 2015, 11:37:29 AM4/25/15
to bosh-users, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Ahh, this makes a lot of sense, I also prefer cf- prefix. Let's do this thing!!!

Chip Childers

Apr 27, 2015, 11:20:30 AM4/27/15
to BOSH Users, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, BOSH Developers
"cf-" as the namespace sounds perfect, and thanks for all the input everyone.

I've gotten feedback from Dmitriy requesting that we consolidate bosh-dev@ and bosh-users@ to help ensure that the community has a bit more cohesion between devs and users. I tend to agree with that across the board, until the lists reach a point where the volume is too high (none of our lists are really that high traffic in reality).

So... given all of the feedback, here's where we're going to go:

bosh...@cloudfoundry.org and bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org will become cf-...@lists.cloudfoundry.org

We can adjust over time as well... I'll update everyone again in a day or two with timing and what you will see / experience.

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Dr Nic Williams

Apr 27, 2015, 11:33:16 AM4/27/15
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, BOSH Users, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks Chip.