Multiple ports per app

John McTeague

Jan 23, 2015, 5:01:33 PM1/23/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Reading through the details of the v196 release, i came across the following comment:

Since we are planning on exposing multiple ports, we need expose the port mapping

Can anyone shed further light on what this entails?

James Bayer

Jan 23, 2015, 6:24:56 PM1/23/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
diego supports specifying multiple ports for an application.

once diego is available, and with some minor app/route enhancements, we should be able to have multiple routes for the same app. eg. customers.example.com should use app port 8080 admin.example.com should use app port 5000.

Thank you,

James Bayer

Meelis Lubi

Jan 27, 2015, 3:50:11 PM1/27/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
This would still be only http traffic right? are there any plans for tcp aswell?

James Bayer

Jan 28, 2015, 3:34:14 AM1/28/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
currently each app process gets one port, you could put tcp traffic on that port if there is a network path from where the client is.

when we have multiple ports, you could put tcp traffic on the other ports, but this also depends on network layout between client/server.

in most deployments, there is a LB tier and a tier http gorouters. there are not short-term plans to create a TCP proxy included in CF, although we would like to consider options for TCP at some point.

Harry Zhang

Jan 28, 2015, 8:56:38 AM1/28/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
In our case, we hacked DEA & warden to map the TCP ports to the outside world and register the ports to a TCP LB. We use etcd to allocate and manage the ports globally. It works well but I don't think CF can accept this feature.

Meelis Lubi

Jan 28, 2015, 11:14:43 AM1/28/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Sounds interesting, we are actually planning to do the same thing.

Would it be too much to ask or could you share what changes you did.

It would be a tremendous help.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Cloud Foundry Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msgid/vcap-dev/65eea67a-a8f4-4152-9c46-76297e9a4ca4%40cloudfoundry.org.

long.ngu...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2015, 6:47:03 PM2/23/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
James, is multiple ports something we can play with on Deigo atm or is it still to be implemented.

Onsi Fakhouri

Feb 23, 2015, 7:05:14 PM2/23/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Diego itself supports multiple ports at this point.  The CC does not have any API around requesting multiple ports/adding routes to different ports.  We don’t have any work scheduled to implement the CC end of things at this time, though that can chance if there is sufficient demand for such a feature.

Lei Zhang

Feb 24, 2015, 1:15:48 AM2/24/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
sorry for late response, may be we can share this in 2015 cf summit.