Announcing the new logging & metrics Firehose feature; required manifest changes

jrodr...@pivotal.io

Oct 16, 2014, 2:03:46 PM10/16/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Hi all,

The LAMB team has been busy implementing a new "Firehose" feature which allows operators to receive a stream of all logs and metrics flowing through the CF system. This currently includes application logs, application response time metrics, and cf component metrics such as cpu and memory utilization, and many more types to come in the future. The current types are defined in the dropsonde-protocol. The firehose can be consumed by operators who hold the 'doppler.firehose' cf scope. A sample application which consumes the firehose is provided in golang.

There is a new CATS test that exercises this feature; to make sure your CATS don't fail, please add the 'doppler.firehose' scope to your CF admin user in your stub files, as demonstrated in the template fixtures corresponding to your environment's infrastructure.

Also, the "cf" uaa client needs permission to grant this custom scope to users. The configuration of the "uaa" job in Cloud Foundry adds this scope by default. If your Cloud Foundry instance overrides the "properties.uaa.clients.cf" property in a stub, you need to add "doppler.firehose" to the scope list in the "properties.uaa.clients.cf.scope" property.

This feature will be arriving in cf-release within the week. Please let us know if you have any questions or issues.

- Joe R & Alex S (LAMB team)

James Bayer

Oct 17, 2014, 12:27:02 AM10/17/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
congrats on reaching this big milestone for the new metrics pipeline! just today i fielded a customer inquiry on how they could get all of the logs for all applications, so this will certainly be used.

Thank you,

James Bayer

long.ngu...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2014, 12:17:30 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, jrodr...@pivotal.io

Hi! I'm trying to run this on bosh-lite with cf and getting

eventType:Error error:<source:"NOAA" code:2 message:"Error dialing traffic controller server: websocket: bad handshake.\nPlease ask your Cloud Foundry Operator to check the platform configuration (traffic controller is wss://doppler.10.244.0.34.xip.io:443)." >

Any thoughts on how to run it via bosh-lite to try it out?

jrodr...@pivotal.io

Oct 24, 2014, 1:03:15 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, jrodr...@pivotal.io, long.ngu...@gmail.com
Hey there,

Are you using cf-release master branch? Sorry we didn't mention this before, but the firehose is not yet in cf-release master. It will be in cf release v192. If you would like to take a look at this feature now, you can checkout cf-release/develop

If you are already using cf-release/develop, make sure your manifest has the properties outlined in the original post.

Let us know how it goes!
Joe and Georg

Alexander Jackson

Oct 24, 2014, 1:06:43 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,
    I wanted to confirm that you are running the latest development release from the cf-release develop branch.   The firehose is not yet in cf-release master.   It should make it's way to master over the next week.
     - Alex.

Long Nguyen

Oct 24, 2014, 1:07:26 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Ahh I was using 190. Let me try master branch and see if it works

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Cloud Foundry Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msgid/vcap-dev/CAN-TLMANCR%3DJviC6s43TsVNyZ7xTf%3DiFhqRshx0hszbc493j4g%40mail.gmail.com.

Alexander Jackson

Oct 24, 2014, 1:11:19 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
It's not in the master branch... it's still in the develop branch.   Try that one.
       - Alex.

Long Nguyen

Oct 24, 2014, 1:22:35 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Long Nguyen

Oct 24, 2014, 2:45:44 PM10/24/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Hewei Liu

Nov 28, 2014, 6:15:52 AM11/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, jrodr...@pivotal.io
Hi,

A question here: What's the relationship between the new loggregator (seems all the messages of logging/metrics can be sent to loggregator thru metron) and collector (collect metrics from /varz)? Both of them can forward metrics messages to external system, am I right? Is collector only for exporting metrics to other APM tools thru plugins?

Thanks.

James Bayer

Nov 28, 2014, 6:12:42 PM11/28/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, Joseph Rodriguez
the collector is for system components and CF will be going away from /varz over time as teams migrate to using metron/other new mechanisms in loggregator to share their metrics and health.

Thank you,

James Bayer

brian...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 12:08:20 AM4/18/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, jrodr...@pivotal.io
Is there any way or example of connecting the firehose up to Splunk?

James Bayer

Apr 18, 2015, 10:26:57 AM4/18/15
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, Joseph Rodriguez
this project can convert the firehose to syslog, which i expect would work well with splunk
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/firehose-to-syslog