OSGi Support in Cloud Foundry

Nayyab !

Mar 27, 2013, 8:06:42 AM3/27/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi all,

I need to know if current version of VCAP provides a support for OSGi framework or not? I found a blog http://hsiliev.blogspot.be/2011/11/running-virgo-on-cloud-foundry.html
about running Virgo in CloudFoundry to get the support manually. But this blog is out-dated and few repo links are no more active.

Can anybody help me with an updated way to get cloud foundry's support for OSGi. I am planning to convert my Spring MVC app to OSGi based app and need to deploy it in Cloud Foundry.

A quick response will be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Nayyab Zia Naqvi

Scott Frederick

Mar 27, 2013, 3:21:19 PM3/27/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
What do you mean by "current version of VCAP"? CloudFoundry.com is currently running v1 components, while v2 components are available on GitHub for you to deploy to your own CF environment.

CF v1 components do not provide support for OSGi frameworks, and will not be extended or enhanced to do so. The steps provided in the blog post you linked to would be the way to do this with v1 components if you wanted to deploy your own CF environment, but I would not go this route.

CF v2 components include support for buildpacks, which allow you to provide whatever runtimes and frameworks you would like. Glyn Normington (a member of the Virgo project team) has been experimenting with a Virgo buildpack, which he discusses in another thread (https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msg/vcap-dev/eWw62odAJMM/rxX6e9DcHGYJ) and provides on GitHub (https://github.com/glyn/virgo-buildpack). If you want to deploy your own CF environment, you should deploy v2 components and go this route. If you want to deploy and OSGi app to CloudFoundry.com, you will have to wait until the v2 components are deployed there.

Scott

Mike Heath

Mar 27, 2013, 5:33:43 PM3/27/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I don't see any reason why you couldn't deploy an app using OSGi as a standalone application on cloudfoundry.com today.

-Mike

Nayyab !

Mar 28, 2013, 5:49:17 AM3/28/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I didn't know about standalone support added in Cloud Foundry. I will definitely use this feature.

Best Regards,
Nayyab Zia Naqvi