JBoss Buildpack

Ben Hale

Apr 7, 2014, 6:24:05 AM4/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
I'm happy to announce the creation of the Cloud Foundry Community JBoss Buildpack.  This buildpack has been graciously donated by Colin Humphreys and Cloud Credo.

The buildpack is a fork of the Java Buildpack, replacing the use of Tomcat as a Servlet container with JBoss AS 7.  At the moment, that support is a bit rough but fully functional, and we're looking forward to the community contributing improvements as needed.  This is not an officially supported buildpack, but the Cloud Foundry Java Experience team will be looking in on it and making sure that it stays up to date with the upstream Java Buildpack.

-Ben Hale
Cloud Foundry Java Experience

Dr Nic Williams

Apr 7, 2014, 10:03:57 AM4/7/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hooray for the British Invasion!

David Williams

Apr 8, 2014, 6:16:40 PM4/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hooray for full JEE platform support! Spring support in CF is great, Spring + JEE support is even better!  Would be great if it used WildFly 8 instead of AS 7 for JEE 7 support.

I know that we've talked about this, too...but is there a possibility that the JEE goodness get absorbed back upstream into the official Java Buildpack?

Frans Thamura

Apr 8, 2014, 6:20:29 PM4/8/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org

Would be cool.if gosip.around openshift that will.join cf foundation

Ben Hale

Apr 9, 2014, 4:35:43 AM4/9/14
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Hooray for full JEE platform support! Spring support in CF is great, Spring + JEE support is even better!

One thing to remember is that because JBoss is available, it doesn't mean that full JEE support is.  The JBoss support there is currently focused on running web applications in the servlet container and nothing further.  Certainly the community can start taking on the work to extend that support and find out where the edges of the JEE support in a PaaS lie.

 Would be great if it used WildFly 8 instead of AS 7 for JEE 7 support.

I know that we've talked about this, too...but is there a possibility that the JEE goodness get absorbed back upstream into the official Java Buildpack?

These two points are closely related to one another.  The reason that the JBoss support has been moved only in cloudfoundry-community is because we don't yet have a critical mass of demand yet.  Adding a new container to the official supported buildpack (especially one as complex as JBoss) is a non-trivial trivial task.  Both in terms of the engineering required to get the support equal to the other containers and then in the work to ensure that it continues to function properly (if you only knew how many system testing projects are on my wallboard...), adding JBoss would be quite expensive.  Until we've got a lot of customers (either open source or paying) asking for it, we simply can't prioritize it.  The upgrade to Wildly 8 falls into this same category; the Cloud Foundry Java Experience team isn't going to take on the work of doing this upgrade until a large number of customers start asking for it.  In the meantime, I'm happy to support anyone who wants to make the attempt.