Upcoming contribution workflow changes

Elisabeth Hendrickson

Jan 23, 2013, 1:08:44 AM1/23/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Greetings!

As at least one member of the community has discovered, we are transitioning to Github pull requests for Cloud Foundry development. We’re making this change to simplify the development workflow for everyone, core committers and contributors alike.

We are transitioning one repository at a time; it will take us a couple of weeks to complete the move. As we begin to move a repo, we will be draining the Gerrit queue of any current submissions. That means if you’ve had pending contributions sitting in the queue for a while, you can expect to hear from us shortly.

After a repo is transitioned, community members will use Github pull requests to submit contributions to it. There is a nice writeup of Github’s fork-and-pull workflow here: https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

I should also note that as part of this change, we are moving as many of our builds to Travis CI as we can. So you may start to notice the link to the Travis build on some of the repository readmes. Using Travis supports the new workflow. There is a discussion about how Travis handles builds on pull requests here: http://about.travis-ci.org/blog/2012-08-13-build-workflow-around-pull-requests/

Incidentally, if you like an all-command-line workflow, you might like the hub gem. It provides a simple way to do a pull request directly from the command line. See https://github.com/defunkt/hub

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this change.

Many thanks,

Elisabeth Hendrickson
Cloud Foundry

Dr Nic Williams

Jan 23, 2013, 2:45:54 PM1/23/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
[adding bosh-dev@]

Yay for Github Pull Request workflow!

Nic

da...@castlelaing.com

Jan 23, 2013, 3:55:39 PM1/23/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Yay for TravisCI!

Brian McClain

Jan 25, 2013, 8:30:16 AM1/25/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Oooo, this is VERY cool!

--
Brian McClain
@BrianMMcClain

Chris Adams

Jan 25, 2013, 8:51:42 AM1/25/13
to vcap...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks for this!

Really happy to see github pull requests here!

Chris Adams

mob: 07974 368 229
tel: 0203 322 5777
skype: chris.d.adams