Micro bosh 0.6.4 released

Martin Englund

Aug 21, 2012, 12:03:01 AM8/21/12
to bosh-users
Folks,

we are happy to announce that micro bosh stemcell 0.6.4 for both aws
and vsphere now are ready to download using "bosh download public
stemcell", along with the regular stemcell for aws. To see what is
available, use "bosh public stemcells".

If you are upgrading from version 0.1.0 make sure that you follow this
procedure, or your blobstore data will be lost:
0) if you aren't using a persistent disk you need extra help, email me
and I'll sort you out...
1) on your micro bosh 0.1.0 instance, make a tar-ball of
/var/vcap/data/blobstore/store
2) untar the above tarball in /var/vcap/store/blobstore/store
cd /var/vcap/data/blobstore; mkdir -p /var/vcap/store/blobstore;
tar cf - store | (cd /var/vcap/store/blobstore; tar xf )
3) upgrade the bosh deployer to version 0.5.1
gem upgrade bosh_0.5.1
4) download the new stemcell
5) upgrade micro bosh
bosh micro deploy --update /path/to/micro-bosh-vsphere-0.6.4.tgz

If you have any questions or run in to any problem, send an email to
the alias and we'll help you out!

There are two blog posts coming on how to get started with bosh on aws
and how to publish a release repository, but they need to be reviewed
before they can be published. I'll notify you as soon as they have
been posted...

cheers,
/Martin
--
Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
"The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."

Dr Nic Williams

Aug 21, 2012, 12:19:17 AM8/21/12
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks Martin!

Cheers
Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service
Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
Skype: nicwilliams
Twitter: @drnic

Martin Englund

Aug 21, 2012, 1:34:12 PM8/21/12
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Dr Nic Williams
<drnicw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Martin!

to make life easier, we've also published a micro bosh AMI in each region:
ap-northeast-1: ami-7656eb77
ap-southeast-1: ami-64d59436
eu-west-1: ami-874c4af3
sa-east-1: ami-6280597f
us-east-1: ami-69dd6900
us-west-1: ami-4f3e1a0a
us-west-2: ami-7ac7494a

This means you can now deploy without downloading the micro bosh
stemcell (and then uploading it). E.g. if you want to deploy micro
bosh to São Paulo, use this micro_bosh.yml:
---
name: ami-test

logging:
level: DEBUG

network:
type: dynamic
vip: 1.2.3.4

resources:
persistent_disk: 20000
cloud_properties:
instance_type: m1.small
availability_zone: sa-east-1a

cloud:
plugin: aws
properties:
stemcell:
image_id: ami-6280597f
aws:
access_key_id: AKINOTACHANCE3XVOB3QA
secret_access_key: gfjdoyouthinkImstupideRLutr667ibeP1icJte
default_key_name: bosh
default_security_groups: ["bosh"]
ec2_private_key: ~/.ssh/bosh
ec2_endpoint: ec2.sa-east-1.amazonaws.com

create an Elastic IP, the bosh security group (prot 22, 6868 & 25555)
and the bosh key pair, and then run:
bosh micro deploy ami-6280597f
and Bob is your mother's brother :)

Dr Nic Williams

ferdy

Aug 22, 2012, 5:41:33 AM8/22/12
to bosh-...@cloudfoundry.org
If you're building your own deployer gem instead of downloading it from rubygems, be aware that options have changed. Now stemcell must be set on resources:

resources:
  persistent_disk: 20000
  cloud_properties:
    instance_type: m1.small