BOSH Stemcell - Recent Activities and Goings On

Greg Oehmen

May 9, 2014, 9:47:07 PM5/9/14
to bosh-users, bosh...@cloudfoundry.org

Have you noticed anything different lately with `bosh public stemcells` on the command line or when visiting bosh_artifacts at http://bosh_artifacts.cfapps.io/ ?

Most obvious is that there has been a relative explosion of available stemcells.  Obviously, there are quite a few changes that have recently occurred.  These include:

  1. Ubuntu lucid (10.04) & trusty (14.04) stemcells - The team has started producing 14.04 stemcells.  We’re not producing trusty stemcells for all OS/IAAS combinations yet or we’d *never* get a green build again.  But when we can sunset 10.04 and the ruby agent stemcells, we’ll significantly reduce the footprint of the matrix we would be supporting in continuous integration-land.  At that point, we can entertain the ability to bring all the 14.04 stemcells into the public realm.  Note that there will only be 14.04 stemcells with the Go agent & not with the Ruby agent.

  2. Ruby_agent & Go_agent stemcells - We are producing these in parallel right now.  Soon, I’ll be asking the community for input on when it makes sense to shut down the ruby agent creation pipeline and move forward with only the Go agent.  The early feedback from the Cloud Foundry team is that the Go agent takes up a memory footprint about 11% the size of the ruby agent footprint.  Significant savings.  Great work by the team!

  3. vCloud Stemcell - Take a look at the 2524 build on http://bosh_artifacts.cfapps.io/.  You’ll notice the inclusing of the bosh-stemcell-2524-vcloud-esxi-ubuntu-lucid.tgz stemcell.  This is the first publicly available stemcell for the vCHS/vCloud CPI.  Great work and extreme persistence from Mihnea Olteanu, Yin Ding, Bharath Siravera and Killian Murphyto get this work done and into the CI path.

  4. Worth noting:  http://bosh_artifacts.cfapps.io will be migrating to http://cloudfoundry.org.  Details are in a story in the BOSH project (but pivotal tracker is in a maintenance window right now and I want to publish these notes before I forget.  So...stay tuned.)

Greg Oehmen
Cloud Foundry Product Manager - Bosh
Pivotal

Dr Nic Williams

May 9, 2014, 10:02:12 PM5/9/14
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users
"When it makes sense to shut down the ruby agent pipeline?" - I wouldn't like to see the ruby agent disappear before PivotalWS had been running on the go agent for a while. Is PivotalWS still running v1471 based stemcells? That's about 1000 versions behind latest? Perhaps it would be great to know how its going in production before we stop supporting the ruby agent?

On the other hand, if the reason for the 6 mth rewrite of the agent into go was so that we could have a burst of new agent-level features, then that might encourage people to want to use the new-only-just-released go agent perhaps?

Dr Nic Williams
twitter @drnic

Greg Oehmen

James Bayer

May 11, 2014, 12:54:05 AM5/11/14
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, bosh-users
nic, you can always see which version of stemcells are being used in production (at least at the time of the release announcement) by checking the wiki page for each release announcement. for example v170 was deployed with stemcell 2366 with the ruby agent [1]. stemcells with the go agent are currently only running in the pre-production environments.

Thank you,

James Bayer