BOSH on OpenStack

ferdy

Jul 15, 2012, 7:05:56 PM7/15/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi folks,

I've been working lately on a BOSH OpenStack CPI (https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi). Although I have been testing it over and over again, I ask now for some community help to test it in different OpenStack boxes.

I also wrote a tutorial to create a micro BOSH on OpenStack from a custom stemcell (now part of @drnic excellent tutorials), so it should be an easy task to test it if you already have a running OpenStack installation.

With this new CPI, you''ll be able to create a micro BOSH on OpenStack, but not a fully distributed BOSH (without some hacks), as the creation of a new OpenStack image from a stemcell is not fully supported by this CPI.

Any suggestions, improvements, fixes, criticism, ... would be very appreciated!

NOTE: This is an experimental CPI, not supported by VMWare.

- Ferdy

Dr Nic Williams

Jul 15, 2012, 7:23:24 PM7/15/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hurray!

Cheers
Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
Engine Yard
The Leading Platform as a Service
Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
Skype: nicwilliams
Twitter: @drnic

Vadim Spivak

Jul 15, 2012, 8:30:59 PM7/15/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
We've been following the guide and will give a talk (and hopefully a demo of BOSH on OpenStack) at OSCON on Tuesday.

We should start merging these changes into the repos soon :)

Thanks,
Vadim

ferdy

Jul 16, 2012, 5:29:30 AM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org

On Monday, July 16, 2012 2:30:59 AM UTC+2, Vadim Spivak wrote:
We've been following the guide and will give a talk (and hopefully a demo of BOSH on OpenStack) at OSCON on Tuesday.

Great! Let me know how it goes!

We should start merging these changes into the repos soon :)

Once you've tested it, I can submit a change with all the new code. Just ping me and I'll start the merge from my repo to the cloufoundry repos.

Igor Bolotin

Jul 16, 2012, 6:23:37 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
We've been testing fully distributed BOSH using this OpenStack CPI implementation on our private OpenStack Diablo cloud and planning also to start testing it on our private OpenStack Essex cloud very soon.

Thanks for the great job on OpenStack support!

Best regards,
Igor Bolotin
Cloud Architect
X.commerce (an eBay Inc. company)
--
Best regards,
Igor

ferdy

Jul 16, 2012, 7:04:01 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Igor, glad to hear it works also in Diablo. Are you using the create_stemcell_using_upload method in order to upload the full bosh stemcell? Just curious, how much memory size have your VM's?

BTW, I've added your name to the OpenStack CPI AUTHORS file. Thanks for that PR!

- Ferdy

Vadim Spivak

Jul 16, 2012, 7:05:08 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
I just sent this change, https://github.com/fog/fog/pull/1042 which I tested worked against my test instance.

Is there a reason not to stream it?

-Vadim

Ferran Rodenas

Jul 16, 2012, 7:18:06 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
I squeeze my brain looking for ways to manually stream the image file but never thought the excom gem had this functionality. Uploading the image is faster and easier than creating a volume, so the create_stemcell_using_volume can be deprecated. Chapeau Vadim!!!

I'll test it tomorrow in my test instances.

- Ferfy

Igor Bolotin

Jul 16, 2012, 7:39:42 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Nice! We were already using create_stemcell_using_upload method, but allocated 16GB of RAM to BOSH to be able to load stemcell images. With this patch - should be able to scale it down to more reasonable allocation!
Thanks!
- Igor
--
Best regards,
Igor

Vadim Spivak

Jul 16, 2012, 9:47:34 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Here are a few more changes that I made to get the demo to work:

We are testing against an instance with KVM, so we couldn't use the existing stemcell uploader (AMI/AKI/etc). Instead the stemcell generator should embed this metadata.

-Vdadim

Vadim Spivak

Jul 16, 2012, 11:20:19 PM7/16/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Here's the second of 3 changes:

This is AWS specific, but will need to be applied to OpenStack as well.

The last change (will send tomorrow) is for the new stemcell builder to load the acpiphp module so we can attach disks on the fly.

-Vadim

Ruslan Karachun

Jul 18, 2012, 8:07:13 AM7/18/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hello, Ferdy.

BOSH - a system for deploying applications on a IaaS platform.
The BOSH needs BOSH (with access to IaaS and CPI) to start its own. A
vicious circle.
We plan to develop a CloudStack-CPI. But I can not imagine the
environment in which you developed a new CPI. Please describe stages and
environment in which You have developed and tested OpenStack CPI as
possible.

Thank You.
--
Best regards,
Ruslan

ferdy

Jul 18, 2012, 6:23:00 PM7/18/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Ruslan,

1) Take a look in cloud base cpi. You'll see which are the methods required for your CPI.
2) Then look for implementation details at the AWS CPI or OpenStack CPI.
3) Build your own CPI and test it using your CPI console (you must build it for your CPI).
4) Go further and check bosh for AWS or EC2 or OpenStack references. You'll need to provide methods for agent, deployer and package_compiler modules. You'll also need to build a CPI_registry gem.
5) Build a job and a package for your CPI_registry gem for bosh-release.
6) Last step is to test all the pieces together. You'll need a microBOSH, and use it to deploy a full BOSH. Check @drnic tutorials about how to do it.

Takes some time to undertand how BOSH works, but then it's not a complex task to build your own CPI.

- Ferdy

Ruslan Karachun

Jul 19, 2012, 8:44:32 AM7/19/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Thank You, Fred!

On 07/19/2012 01:23 AM, ferdy wrote:
> Ruslan,
>
> 1) Take a look in cloud base cpi
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/cpi/lib/cloud.rb>.
> You'll see which are the methods required for your CPI.
> 2) Then look for implementation details at the AWS CPI
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/tree/master/aws_cpi> or OpenStack
> CPI <https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi>.
> 3) Build your own CPI and test it using your CPI console
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/aws_cpi/bin/bosh_aws_console>
> (you must build it for your CPI).
> 4) Go further and check bosh <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh> for
> AWS or EC2 or OpenStack references. You'll need to provide methods for
> agent, deployer and package_compiler modules. You'll also need to build
> a CPI_registry gem.
> 5) Build a job and a package for your CPI_registry gem for bosh-release
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-release>.
> 6) Last step is to test all the pieces together. You'll need a
> microBOSH, and use it to deploy a full BOSH. Check @drnic tutorials
> <https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/create-a-bosh/creating-a-bosh-overview.md>
> about how to do it.
>
> Takes some time to undertand how BOSH works, but then it's not a complex
> task to build your own CPI.
>
> - Ferdy
>
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:07:13 PM UTC+2, Ruslan K wrote:
>
> Hello, Ferdy.
>
> BOSH - a system for deploying applications on a IaaS platform.
> The BOSH needs BOSH (with access to IaaS and CPI) to start its own. A
> vicious circle.
> We plan to develop a CloudStack-CPI. But I can not imagine the
> environment in which you developed a new CPI. Please describe stages
> and
> environment in which You have developed and tested OpenStack CPI as
> possible.
>
> Thank You.
>

> On 07/16/2012 02:05 AM, ferdy wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been working lately on a BOSH OpenStack CPI
> > (https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi
> <https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi>). Although I have been

animeshn...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2012, 5:53:08 PM7/25/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi ferdy,
I am learning on about cloudfoundry and  how it can be deployed on openstack ?
I understand that for deployment cloudfoundry needs CPI to integrate to openstack. what are the other  things that are required apart from this ?
Any pointers with this will be very useful ?

Thanks,
Animesh

Ferran Rodenas

Jul 25, 2012, 7:52:15 PM7/25/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Animesh,

You don't need any CPI if you are just playing/learning CloudFoundry. Just follow the docs at the vcap or oss-docs to install it in your box (it can be installed in an OpenStack VM without any additional instructions!). The CPI and instructions I submitted are only for BOSH (a release engineering, deployment and lifecycle management tool).

There's another google group about CloudFoundy if you need help installing it.

- Ferdy

Ruslan Karachun

Jul 31, 2012, 4:02:11 AM7/31/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi, Ferdy

I try to build stemcells specified for the Open Stack.
command:

$ rake
stemcell:micro[micro_bosh:openstack,openstack_micro.yml,bosh-1.tgz,chroot-openstack.tgz]

What are the differences in the building for various providers?
At what stage the boot loader come into in to the drive (volume) image?
What kind of the boot loader is used for Open Stack?

Thanks!

On 07/19/2012 01:23 AM, ferdy wrote:
> Ruslan,
>
> 1) Take a look in cloud base cpi
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/cpi/lib/cloud.rb>.
> You'll see which are the methods required for your CPI.
> 2) Then look for implementation details at the AWS CPI
> 3) Build your own CPI and test it using your CPI console
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/aws_cpi/bin/bosh_aws_console>
> (you must build it for your CPI).
> 4) Go further and check bosh <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh> for
> AWS or EC2 or OpenStack references. You'll need to provide methods for
> agent, deployer and package_compiler modules. You'll also need to build
> a CPI_registry gem.
> 5) Build a job and a package for your CPI_registry gem for bosh-release
> <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-release>.
> 6) Last step is to test all the pieces together. You'll need a
> microBOSH, and use it to deploy a full BOSH. Check @drnic tutorials
> <https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/create-a-bosh/creating-a-bosh-overview.md>
> about how to do it.
>
> Takes some time to undertand how BOSH works, but then it's not a complex
> task to build your own CPI.
>
> - Ferdy
>
> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:07:13 PM UTC+2, Ruslan K wrote:
>
> Hello, Ferdy.
>
> BOSH - a system for deploying applications on a IaaS platform.
> The BOSH needs BOSH (with access to IaaS and CPI) to start its own. A
> vicious circle.
> We plan to develop a CloudStack-CPI. But I can not imagine the
> environment in which you developed a new CPI. Please describe stages
> and
> environment in which You have developed and tested OpenStack CPI as
> possible.
>
> Thank You.
>

> On 07/16/2012 02:05 AM, ferdy wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've been working lately on a BOSH OpenStack CPI
> > (https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi
> <https://github.com/frodenas/openstack-bosh-cpi>). Although I have been

ferdy

Jul 31, 2012, 2:32:17 PM7/31/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:02:11 AM UTC+2, Ruslan K wrote:
Hi, Ferdy

I try to build stemcells specified for the Open Stack.
command:

$ rake
stemcell:micro[micro_bosh:openstack,openstack_micro.yml,bosh-1.tgz,chroot-openstack.tgz]

What are the differences in the building for various providers?

There's another thread in this group that explain why there're several builders, but the main reason rely on the need of different disk formats and bootstrap processes.

At what stage the boot loader come into in to the drive (volume) image?
What kind of the boot loader is used for Open Stack?

You're using the *old* stemcell builder. This builder uses vmbuilder to create the image, who installs grub on it as boot loader.

- Ferdy

animesh nandanwar

Aug 6, 2012, 2:09:44 PM8/6/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Ferdy,
I am following exact instruction as mentioned to create micro BOSH on openstack.
But after doing "rake stemcell:micro[micro_bosh:openstack,/var/vcap/manifests/openstack_micro.yml,/var/vcap/releases/bosh-release/dev_releases/bosh-6.1-dev.tgz,/var/tmp/bosh/agent-0.6.4-11163/chroot-openstack.tgz]"
the logs shows that HTTP response code 401 for some requests. I am not sure what could be wrong here.
Please find snip of logs below.

Thanks,
Animesh

root@inception-vm:/var/vcap/bootstrap/bosh/agent#
rake stemcell:micro[micro_bosh:openstack,/var/vcap/manifests/openstack_micro.yml,/var/vcap/releases/bosh-release/dev_releases/bosh-6.1-dev.tgz,/var/tmp/bosh/agent-0.6.4-11163/chroot-openstack.tgz]
sudo env http_proxy= tar zxf /var/tmp/bosh/agent-0.6.4-11163/chroot-openstack.tgz
<Snip>

I, [2012-08-03T23:57:08.072754 #9983]  INFO -- : Compiling /var/vcap/bosh/src/micro_bosh_release/release.yml with tarball /var/vcap/bosh/src/micro_bosh_release/release.tgz
127.0.0.1 - - [03/Aug/2012 23:57:08] "POST /agent HTTP/1.1" 401 - 0.0002
#[9976] INFO: Message: {"method"=>"ping", "arguments"=>[], "reply_to"=>"Bosh::Agent::HTTPClient"}
127.0.0.1 - vcap [03/Aug/2012 23:57:08] "POST /agent HTTP/1.1" 200 17 0.0046

#[9976] INFO: Message: {"method"=>"get_task", "arguments"=>["45498704-5ec1-4b55-9b69-d31aa8969b74"], "reply_to"=>"Bosh::Agent::HTTPClient"}
127.0.0.1 - vcap [03/Aug/2012 23:57:10] "POST /agent HTTP/1.1" 200 85 0.0070
127.0.0.1 - - [03/Aug/2012 23:57:11] "POST /agent HTTP/1.1" 401 - 0.0008

Ferran Rodenas

Aug 6, 2012, 6:22:51 PM8/6/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
animesh, weird error. Did the process finish? or are there any other errors?

- Ferdy

animesh nandanwar

Aug 6, 2012, 6:34:06 PM8/6/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Ferdy,
Yes process did finish and it outputs generated stemcells "Generated stemcell: /var/tmp/bosh/agent-0.6.4-9390/bosh-stemcell-openstack-0.6.4.tgz".

After this if I continue with micro BOSH creation, I do not see images being properly uploaded to Glance. Not sure if  it is related to the previous error. Any idea what could be wrong here ?

root@inception-vm:~# glance add name="microbosh-stemcell-openstack-0.6.1-new" container_format="ami" disk_format="ami" is_public=true < /var/tmp/bosh/agent-0.6.4-9390/ubuntu-xen/root.img kernel_id="1" ramdisk_id="2"
Added new image with ID: 3  >> this Image ID also looks weird

root@inception-vm:/var/vcap/deployments#  bosh micro deploy 3
Deploying new micro BOSH instance `microbosh-openstack/micro_bosh.yml' to `http://microbosh-openstack:25555' (type 'yes' to continue): yes

Deploy Micro BOSH
  using existing stemcell (00:00:00)
Creating VM from 3           |o                  | 1/11 00:00:00  ETA: --:--:--BOSH CLI Error: OpenStack CPI: image 3 not found
Error information saved in /root/.bosh_error
root@inception-vm:/var/vcap/deployments#

Thanks,
Animesh

Ferran Rodenas

Aug 6, 2012, 6:50:37 PM8/6/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Which release of OpenStack are you using? Have you installed the horizon dashboard, so you can check if the image is properly uploaded?

- Ferdy

animesh nandanwar

Aug 6, 2012, 7:23:13 PM8/6/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
I am using Essex release. I do not have horizon dashboard installed. I will install it and check if images are uploaded properly. But glance index does not show aki and ari uploaded images and only shows ami uploaded image.

root@inception-vm:~# glance index
ID               Name                           Disk Format          Container Format     Size
---------------- ------------------------------ -------------------- -------------------- --------------
3                microbosh-stemcell-openstack-0 ami                  ami                      4294967296

Thanks,
Animesh

Serge A. Salamanka

Aug 21, 2012, 4:38:45 AM8/21/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, ferdy

Hi, Ferdy

CloudStack CPI is almost finished.

Could you please explain why we need CPI_registry and the way you build it?

Thanks,

Serge

On Wednesday 18 July 2012 15:23:00 ferdy wrote:

[...]

Software developer | ActiveCloud | http://activecloud.com

Skype/Jabber/e-mail: serge.s...@active.by

Cloud Solutions | Dedicated Servers | IaaS | SaaS | Hosting | Domains

animesh nandanwar

Aug 21, 2012, 8:58:42 PM8/21/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi,

Is this tutorial is applicable for Openstack Folsom release ?
Did anyone tried it on Folsom ?

Thanks,
Animesh

ferdy

Aug 22, 2012, 5:30:20 AM8/22/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org, ferdy, serge.s...@active.by
Serge, the registry stores metadata information about VM's. Just copy the aws_registry and adapt it to CloudStack (config.rb and instance_manager.rb).

- Ferdy

ferdy

Aug 22, 2012, 5:32:22 AM8/22/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Animesh, I tested it a while on Folsom-1. It should work on lastest Folsom dev release.

- Ferdy

animesh nandanwar

Aug 22, 2012, 12:51:43 PM8/22/12
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Thanks Ferdy,
I am also trying to test it on a Folsom.
I see below error while uploading stemcells. Looks like upload stemcell requires specific URL for upload.

Error:
root@inception-vm:/var/vcap/deployments# bosh micro deploy /var/vcap/stemcells/micro-bosh-stemcell-openstack-0.6.4.tgz
Deploying new micro BOSH instance `microbosh-openstack/micro_bosh.yml' to `http://microbosh-openstack:25555' (type 'yes' to continue): yes

Verifying stemcell...
File exists and readable                                     OK
Using cached manifest...
Stemcell properties                                          OK

Stemcell info
-------------
Name:    micro-bosh-stemcell
Version: 0.6.4

Deploy Micro BOSH
  unpacking stemcell (00:00:06)
Uploading stemcell           |o                  | 1/11 00:00:31  ETA: 00:00:37BOSH CLI Error: Expected(201) <=> Actual(300 Multiple Choices)
  request => {:connect_timeout=>60, :headers=>{"Content-Type"=>"application/octet-stream", "X-Auth-Token"=>"8384d70f2f1c4a7cab3ca80e0c1d9cf7", "x-image-meta-name"=>"AKI-BOSH-46a8e19e-76d1-4e4f-b17a-1dc46ecaaa83", "x-image-meta-disk-format"=>"aki", "x-image-meta-container-format"=>"aki", "x-image-meta-size"=>nil, "x-image-meta-is-public"=>nil, "x-image-meta-owner"=>nil, "x-glance-api-copy-from"=>nil, "x-image-meta-property-stemcell"=>"BOSH-46a8e19e-76d1-4e4f-b17a-1dc46ecaaa83", "Host"=>"192.168.150.95:9292", "Content-Length"=>4599536}, :instrumentor_name=>"excon", :mock=>false, :nonblock=>true, :read_timeout=>60, :retry_limit=>4, :ssl_ca_file=>"/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/excon-0.16.1/data/cacert.pem", :ssl_verify_peer=>true, :write_timeout=>60, :host=>"192.168.150.95", :path=>"/images", :port=>"9292", :query=>nil, :scheme=>"http", :body=>#<File:/tmp/d20120822-30943-1fbrso1/kernel.img>, :expects=>201, :method=>"POST"}
  response => #<Excon::Response:0x00000000992b90 @body="{\"versions\": [{\"status\": \"EXPERIMENTAL\", \"id\": \"v2\", \"links\": [{\"href\": \"http://192.168.150.95:9292/v2/\", \"rel\": \"self\"}]}, {\"status\": \"CURRENT\", \"id\": \"v1.1\", \"links\": [{\"href\": \"http://192.168.150.95:9292/v1/\", \"rel\": \"self\"}]}, {\"status\": \"SUPPORTED\", \"id\": \"v1.0\", \"links\": [{\"href\": \"http://192.168.150.95:9292/v1/\", \"rel\": \"self\"}]}]}", @headers={"Content-Type"=>"application/json", "Content-Length"=>"340", "Date"=>"Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:38:30 GMT"}, @status=300>
root@inception-vm:/var/vcap/deployments# vi /root/.bosh_error
[...]
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/excon-0.16.1/lib/excon/connection.rb:288:in `request_kernel'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/excon-0.16.1/lib/excon/connection.rb:109:in `request'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/fog-1.5.0/lib/fog/core/connection.rb:20:in `request'
/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/gems/fog-1.5.0/lib/fog/openstack/image.rb:132:in `request'

animat...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2013, 7:54:50 PM2/18/13
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Ferdy,
Is there any latest update on this work ? Is the OpenStack CPI and Stem cells project ready ?

Ferran Rodenas

Feb 18, 2013, 8:30:45 PM2/18/13
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
It should work.

Joanes Espanol

Feb 3, 2014, 10:45:18 AM2/3/14
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Ferdy,

I have a quick question about the CPI console (bullet #3).  When writing a third party CPI, is there a way to run the related console directly from source, or does the gem bosh_<flavor>_cpi need to be installed?

For example, in order to run the bosh_openstack_console, the bosh_openstack_cpi gem needs to be installed locally.  While developing a third party CPI, there is no gem installed yet as everything is run from source.  I could always install the new CPI as a gem from the local source, but I am wondering if there is another way which would not require this extra step?

Thanks,
Joanes

Ferran Rodenas

Feb 4, 2014, 12:35:00 AM2/4/14
to bosh...@cloudfoundry.org
Hi Joanes,

You can run directly from console. Just add first line to load the code dynamically:

$LOAD_PATH.unshift(File.expand_path('../../lib', __FILE__))

- Ferdy