Flume community update

Patrick Hunt

Aug 2, 2010, 4:15:21 PM8/2/10
to Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
It's been just over a month since Flume was announced at the Hadoop
Summit; http://bit.ly/b2hu3Q and http://bit.ly/bXwEEh Since that
milestone the Flume community has been at work addressing issues, adding
features, and generally working hard to improve the platform.
http://wiki.github.com/cloudera/flume/

You can see the issues that have already been resolved for the next
release here (25 so far!): http://bit.ly/cDocR1

Talking about releases, we're working hard to close out a few remaining
blockers after which we plan to release a 0.9.1 version. This release
should also contain a few features from new contributors, currently we
have a number of significant features being worked on by new committers:

* Anurag Phadke is adding Gzip compression to HDFS output files:
https://review.cloudera.org/r/377/
* Nick Verbeck is working on a date extractor:
https://review.cloudera.org/r/402/ and multi group regex extractor
https://review.cloudera.org/r/398/
* Vibhor Bhatt is adding throttling support to flume flows
https://review.cloudera.org/r/335/
* Patrick Wendell is looking at supporting Avro for Flume communication
https://review.cloudera.org/r/319/

See the following page if you are interested in contributing
http://wiki.github.com/cloudera/flume/howtocontribute
there are many interesting areas to work on, both wrt new feature
development and closing out issues that users have been finding
(detailed on the JIRA):

We'd love to hear from you! If you are using Flume feel free to update
the newly added "PoweredBy" page:
http://wiki.github.com/cloudera/flume/poweredby

or contact us at:

* User mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/flume-user/topics
* Developer mailling list:
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/flume-dev/topics
* IRC channel #flume on irc.freenode.net

If I've missed anything you think is important, or would like to
highlight, please feel free to reply to this email. Regards,

Patrick

Jeff Hammerbacher

Aug 2, 2010, 4:21:44 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Hunt, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
Hey Patrick,

Great stuff!

* Patrick Wendell is looking at supporting Avro for Flume communication https://review.cloudera.org/r/319/

Do we have a public JIRA issue to track this work? I couldn't find one by searching the JIRA for "Avro".

Thanks,
Jeff

Patrick Hunt

Aug 2, 2010, 4:32:15 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Wendell, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
Doesn't look like it, Patrick Wendell would you mind creating a JIRA and
updating the review field? Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick Wendell

Aug 2, 2010, 5:42:16 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Hunt, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
Sure thing. Do I need special permissions to assign this to myself?

- Patrick

Patrick Hunt

Aug 2, 2010, 5:53:13 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Wendell, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
No. Create then assign to yourself. You just need an account on the
JIRA. See the howtocontribute link I provided for more detail.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Wendell

Aug 2, 2010, 6:11:20 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Hunt, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
Hey Patrick,

Were is this link? Already created a JIRA account and filed the issue,
but don't see the option to assign to myself.

- Patrick

Patrick Wendell

Aug 2, 2010, 6:12:25 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Hunt, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org

Patrick Hunt

Aug 2, 2010, 6:16:01 PM8/2/10
to Patrick Wendell, Flume Users, flum...@cloudera.org
My bad, I needed to add you as a contributor. Try it now.

Patrick