Livy with C# (Microsoft.NET)

Mo

Apr 28, 2017, 4:36:00 PM4/28/17
to Livy Development
I am new to Livy and am in the process of white-boarding a solution for a data product.

Can I have a .NET MVC Web App make a REST call to Livy server to execute a spark job and then back?

My understanding is if I make a REST call with all the correct params ( web service end point, spark context, .py code file, etc) then Livy server should be able to process the request. And Livy will be not worry if it coming from Java or Python or C#. NET environment because it is platform independent.

Looking at Livy's example the client instantiation code uses LivyClientBuilder() class which uses an import "import com.cloudera.livy.*;" in Java project.

LivyClient client = new LivyClientBuilder()
  .setURI(new URI(livyUrl))
  .build();
 Is there something similar for C#/.NET or  is the source code that I can use to create equivalent C# class?
Is this even needed as I can just make a REST call via native .NET web service client which Livy should be able to handle, right?

Saisai Shao

May 1, 2017, 10:21:22 PM5/1/17
to Mo, Livy Development
No, currently Livy program interface only supports Java, Scala, Python, it is required if you want to write a Spark job like normal Java/Scala code.

If you only want to leverage REST API to do some Spark works, it is not related to specific language you choose.