Plan to release 0.3 version of Livy

Saisai Shao

Nov 29, 2016, 8:52:42 PM11/29/16
to Livy Development
Hi team,

It's been several months since the release of Livy 0.2, and after that we've added several big features like Spark2/Scala-2.11 support and session recovery as well as many bug fix and improvements. So do we have any plan or date to cut out 0.3 branch and release?

Thanks
Jerry

Javier

Dec 2, 2016, 3:48:35 PM12/2/16
to Livy Development
I'm also really interested in this plan. Any updates so far? Is there something the community can do to help get 0.3 released?

Alex Man

Dec 2, 2016, 3:49:24 PM12/2/16
to Javier, Livy Development

+1

Marcelo Vanzin

Dec 2, 2016, 6:55:12 PM12/2/16
to Saisai Shao, Livy Development
So, just in case someone hasn't really noticed, I haven't really been
following Livy development for a while.

So my recommendation here is for the people who are active to make
sure the release is ready, do testing, etc, etc, and when you're happy
let me know and I'll publish the artifacts where they need to go.

Sorry but I really don't really have time these days to actually do
proper release management here.
> --

Marcelo

Jeff Zhang

Dec 3, 2016, 7:23:18 AM12/3/16
to Marcelo Vanzin, Saisai Shao, Livy Development

+1, I think the 2 most important thing in 0.3 would be spark 2 support and HA.

Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com>于2016年12月3日周六 上午7:55写道:

hyunwoo

Dec 5, 2016, 7:09:27 PM12/5/16
to Livy Development, van...@cloudera.com, sai.sa...@gmail.com
+1
I agree to 0.3 would be spark 2 support and HA.

ellande.b...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2016, 4:23:45 AM12/7/16
to Livy Development, van...@cloudera.com, sai.sa...@gmail.com
+1

Saisai Shao

Jan 10, 2017, 9:49:05 PM1/10/17
to Livy Development, Marcelo Vanzin, Alex Man, Jeff Zhang
Hi team,

We now have 4 outstanding PRs marked for 0.3 release (https://github.com/cloudera/livy/milestone/1), in which LIVY-292, LIVY-280 and (Provide Jetty Http Request/Response Header Size Configuration) are bug fixes, LIVY-273 is improvements. I would suggest if we could cut the branch of 0.3 in these days after LIVY-292 and LIVY-280 are fixed. For this issue (Provide Jetty Http Request/Response Header Size Configuration) personally I didn't meet this issue in kerberized environment, so we could downgrade this issue (also the author is not responding). And for LIVY-273, it also can be moved to next release.

So I would suggest to cut a branch of 0.3 for test and release, if we found some critical issues in testing, we could merge it to both 0.3 and master. Also we could have a bug fix release after 0.3.0, like 0.3.1, etc.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

LIVY-292. Fix Python Job API issue and add Java/python Job API example

LIVY-273. Add Spnego support for Java/scala and Python Job API client

Provide Jetty Http Request/Response Header Size Configuration

LIVY-280. Livy session leakage issue when app submission timeout

Javier Luraschi

Jan 11, 2017, 1:11:38 AM1/11/17
to Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Marcelo Vanzin, Alex Man, Jeff Zhang
Plan sound good to me, looking forward to having the 0.3 branch cut in the next few days - Javier

Alex Man

Jan 24, 2017, 7:32:46 PM1/24/17
to Javier Luraschi, Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Marcelo Vanzin, Jeff Zhang

Hi Marcelo/folks at Cloudera,

We are ready to cut release 0.3.0.

Thanks!

Alex

Jan 24, 2017, 7:34:19 PM1/24/17
to Alex Man, Javier Luraschi, Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
I see branch-0.3 still says "0.3.0-SNAPSHOT". Probably a good idea to
fix that before I publish things.
--
Marcelo

Alex Man

Jan 24, 2017, 7:40:49 PM1/24/17
to Marcelo Vanzin, Javier Luraschi, Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
Hi Marcelo,

Thanks for pointing out that. I've fixed it and tagged the release.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Alex Man <tsz...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcelo/folks at Cloudera,
>

> We are ready to cut release 0.3.0.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Alex

Marcelo Vanzin

Jan 24, 2017, 7:44:42 PM1/24/17
to Alex Man, Javier Luraschi, Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
Thanks, I'll try to get this going tomorrow.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Alex Man <tsz...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcelo,
>
> Thanks for pointing out that. I've fixed it and tagged the release.

--
Marcelo

Saisai Shao

Jan 24, 2017, 8:46:55 PM1/24/17
to Marcelo Vanzin, Alex Man, Javier Luraschi, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
Alex, should branch 0.3's version number be 0.3.1-SNAPSHOT?

Marcelo Vanzin

Jan 25, 2017, 5:50:44 PM1/25/17
to Alex Man, Javier Luraschi, Saisai Shao, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
Done.

Artifacts:
https://repository.cloudera.com/artifactory/cloudera-repos/com/cloudera/livy/livy-main/0.3.0/

Archive:
http://archive.cloudera.com/beta/livy/

I noticed that the build doesn't generate a checksum file for the
archive (it didn't either for 0.2), it would be probably good to add
that for the next release.
--
Marcelo

Saisai Shao

Jan 25, 2017, 8:46:41 PM1/25/17
to Marcelo Vanzin, Alex Man, Javier Luraschi, Livy Development, Jeff Zhang
Great, thanks a lot guys! IIUC Looks like we didn't publish livy-python-api library. It would be great to make it pip viable in future.

Thanks
Jerry