Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Simba 2/21/13 1:58 PM
Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0

Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser John Tyler 2/22/13 4:13 AM
That is very impressive! Aside from the obvious questions about when and how this might be available, can you shed any light on what sorts of MDX capabilities you've been able to translate into HiveQL, or perhaps more importantly what is not supported? If you'd like some help beta testing this at some point, please feel free to contact me directly as we have previous experience with Simba (connecting to SAP HANA) and more recently have been spending a lot of time with Impala.

Cheers,
John Tyler

Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Nenshad Bardoliwalla 2/22/13 9:42 AM
This is very interesting and certainly something that would be valuable in the market.  How and where are the "cube" definitions that the MDX references mapped to the underlying Impala table structures?
Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Simba 2/25/13 12:40 PM

Hi John, thanks for your kind words and for your offer to test! The software is in early development and we’re not quite at the stage where we can talk about availability. We really appreciate your feedback and any suggestions you have for us. Suggestions in terms of the types of data sets you want to analyze, the MDX functionality you want to use, and Excel features you want to use would be very helpful.

We cover the breadth of functionality in MDX. This includes both MDX query support and MDX calculation support for those calculated members and measures inside the cube. We adapted Simba’s MDX engine, which translates MDX->SQL, to do the MDX->HiveQL translation. HiveQL supports almost all SQL constructs, so this adaptation was not too difficult.  There are no meaningful restrictions in what you can do with MDX to be aware of at this time.

Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Simba 2/25/13 12:41 PM

Hi Nenshad, Simba has a tool targeted at developers for building cube definitions, which we call a schema. Conceptually, this tool is similar to the one for building Analysis Services cubes. The cube definition written in Simba’s tool generates some XML that maps MDX metadata constructs to the Impala table structures. In this demonstration we store the XML in a flat file; the final location of the schema for a full version of the product is yet to be determined.

Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser bobdoss 2/26/13 2:24 AM

On Friday, 22 February 2013 08:58:55 UTC+11, Simba wrote:
Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0

   Hi, I think this is great! I will use it.
Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Anil Maharjan 2/27/13 4:33 AM

It seems we will be having multidimensional structure underlying the Impala table structures .So Wont it be any performance issue , since we are going to convert the MDx query into the HiveQL  and sends the HiveQL to Impala, collects the results and returns them to the end user.

So, At peak usage time wont the system with more users will tend to suffer more performance problems if I wasn’t wrong on this. Hope to see and use this great tool in near future.

Thanks,
Anil Maharjan

Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser Simba 3/1/13 11:32 AM
Hi Anil,

Thanks for the note.

We do not expect any direct performance issues with the generated HiveQL due to Impala's performance.

With regards to peak time and high concurrent user load, that will be Impala's responsibility which I understand they're working on.

George
Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser nawneel kishor 9/2/13 10:04 PM
This Looks great . when can we expect this in market ? where and how to get this ??

On Friday, 22 February 2013 03:28:55 UTC+5:30, Simba wrote:
Looking for feedback on our quick demo of Simba's integration of doing MDX queries over Cloudera's Impala for use with Microsoft Excel Pivot Tables.

http://youtu.be/kZahPE9Puv0

Re: Excel Pivot Tables on Impala via MDX... Intrigued?? Check out our video teaser kaus...@gmail.com 6/26/14 12:01 PM
Hi Simba Team,
    first off this is excellent work !  it makes total (business and technical)  sense to have excel pivots connect via the cubes to the bigdata impala tables.
given that it has been about a year and a half, is it live now by any chance?  if not i'd be happy to beta test this out and provide feeback. please let me know

Thanks
Kaushal Jha