Google Groups

[ANNOUNCE] Impala Beta .7 Now Available

Wendy Turner Apr 15, 2013 1:13 PM
Posted in group: Impala User

Hello CDH, Impala and Cloudera Manager Users,

We are pleased to announce the release of Cloudera Impala Beta (version 0.7). This is the final beta drop of Impala prior to GA later this quarter.

This version has multiple performance improvements and adds the following functionality:

  • Added support for the Parquet columnar file format
  • Bigger and faster joins through the addition of partitioned joins to the already supported broadcast joins
  • Fully distributed aggregations
  • Fully distributed top-n computation
  • Added support for Avro
  • Support for creating and altering tables
  • Support for GROUP BY with floats and doubles
  • For a full list of features and fixes please see the Release Notes

In this version, both CDH4.1 and 4.2 are supported, but due to performance improvements added, we highly recommend you use CDH4.2 to see the full benefit. If you are using Cloudera Manager, version 4.5 is required.

As a reminder, here is how you can get started with Impala:

  • Use Cloudera Manager 4.5 to deploy Impala. Documentation can be found here: Installing Impala with Cloudera Manager
  • To deploy Impala without Cloudera Manager support, visit Cloudera's download page and follow the instructions under "Cloudera Impala Beta Release". Please note that you need to have CDH 4.2.x installed on RHEL5.7/6.2, Centos5.7/6.2, SUSE 11 with Service Pack 1 or later, Ubuntu 10.04/12.04, or Debian 6.03.

Resources:

Feedback:
Once you get started, we encourage you to provide feedback. We have the following mechanisms set up to do this:

  • An Impala user group has been set up. Please use this to ask questions and provide feedback.
  • An Impala Jira project has been set up. Feature requests and bug reports are welcome.