Unresponsive Script in HUE 3.10 with CDH 5.8

Ben Sullins

Oct 11, 2016, 6:15:53 PM10/11/16
to Hue-Users
I'm running CDH 5.8 in VirtualBox on my mac and am receiving an unresponsive script error once I reach about 4 queries. I'm preparing this for an upcoming course on LinkedIn Learning and could use some help resolving it.

I believe the issue is related to autocomplete as it occurs when I try to add columns to a select statement. You can see this happen in the video below. I'd love to try disabling the autocompleter but the shortcuts I've found to get to this setting don't seem to work on this VM.

Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Sullins

Oct 11, 2016, 6:17:57 PM10/11/16
to Hue-Users
This is the script that is bombing out - /static/desktop/js/ace/ext-language_tools.3051c210c650.js

Enrico Berti

Oct 12, 2016, 4:17:09 AM10/12/16
to Ben Sullins, Hue-Users
Hi,
unfortunately you are hitting https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-4209
Can you try to remove the comments from your query?
A workaround would be to copy the fixed files (from this commit: https://github.com/cloudera/hue/commit/cd345bd5efabfd9cd8244d203d568b1547279c93) to your VM

Ben Sullins

Oct 12, 2016, 11:07:55 AM10/12/16
to Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
Strange, what I've done to work around is to reduce the amount of queries in the window to only 1 or maybe 2. Is this fix going in a release soon?

Ben Sullins

Oct 12, 2016, 11:15:12 AM10/12/16
to Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
Is there an easy way to disable the autocomplete all togethere?

Romain Rigaux

Oct 12, 2016, 12:01:36 PM10/12/16
to Ben Sullins, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
To disable:
CTRL + ,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/u7n9r3d7u7jzthk/HUE-4386.Editor.Autocompleter_settings.mp4?dl=0
And autocomplete was rewritten in Hue 3.11 or CDH 5.9 (should come at the end of this month)

Ben Sullins

Oct 12, 2016, 12:11:54 PM10/12/16
to Romain Rigaux, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
I'm not seeing those options to disable the autocomplete. Here's what I see: https://db.tt/HdXvWI6l

Romain Rigaux

Oct 12, 2016, 12:18:27 PM10/12/16
to Ben Sullins, Johan Ahlen, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
Johan, didn't we have a ini setting to set to 0 to disable it until 3.11?

Johan Ahlen

Oct 12, 2016, 12:27:30 PM10/12/16
to Romain Rigaux, Ben Sullins, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
For 5.8 there's a setting to disable the table and column completion, editor_autocomplete_timeout = 0, but sadly no setting to disable it completely. It seems the other setting using CTRL + , went in 3.11 together with the new autocompleter.

Ben, was it caused by https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-4209? (comments with asterisks) If not, would you care to share the statements with me? (obfuscated would be fine) That way I can debug and let you know if we and when we fixed it.

Cheers,
Johan

Ben Sullins

Oct 12, 2016, 12:35:28 PM10/12/16
to Johan Ahlen, Romain Rigaux, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
Sure thing, here is the SQL. I don't have any asterisks in m comments, just plain text. My sales_all_years table is partitioned by Yr and has 35K rows, so pretty small...

Johan Ahlen

Oct 12, 2016, 4:12:36 PM10/12/16
to Ben Sullins, Romain Rigaux, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
I can reproduce it in the 5.8 Quickstart VM and I've verified that it was also fixed with HUE-4209. It's caused by the asterisk in the first statement and it's related to the length of the text in the editor, at a certain point the browser becomes unresponsive.

So if you can't wait for the 5.9 VM you can patch ext-language_tools.js with the contents of https://github.com/cloudera/hue/blob/cd345bd5efabfd9cd8244d203d568b1547279c93/desktop/core/src/desktop/static/desktop/js/ace/ext-language_tools.js or perhaps skip/adjust the first select statement for your course?

Cheers,
Johan

Ben Sullins

Oct 12, 2016, 5:18:15 PM10/12/16
to Johan Ahlen, Romain Rigaux, Enrico Berti, Hue-Users
Thanks, I'll probably remove the asterisks from the query for now and wait for the next release. Thanks for the follow-up!