Hue 4.1 slow responsiveness

Kumar Fraj

Nov 29, 2017, 7:55:37 AM11/29/17
to Hue-Users
Hi all,

as useful and comfortable the editor for Hive Queries is in HUE 4.1, I've noticed that working with it is smooth only for small queries. However, whenever the query becomes significantly larger, addressing >10 tables with hundreds of variables, the Editor Window becomes so slow and unresponsive it's almost impossible to work with. I suspect this is due to the large amount of scripts checking syntax and whatnot and behind every word typed in the query. Is it possible to turn off some (or all) of the heavy functions, leaving only the basic functionability of running queries?

Note: certain amount of slowness was visible on several machines and different web browsers.

Thanks

Johan Ahlen

Nov 29, 2017, 8:35:28 AM11/29/17
to Kumar Fraj, Hue-Users
Hi Kumar,

It’s likely that this is caused by the live autocomplete having too many suggestions, this can for instance happen in the filter clause when there are many tables in the query. The issue is tracked in https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-6688

Until it’s been improved you can control the autocomplete behaviour by:

1. Click in the editor somewhere
2. Press ctrl/cmd - , (comma) and a settings panel should appear on the right
3. Uncheck “Enable Live Autocompletion”

The new syntax checker runs in a separate web worker and I don’t believe that it's causing the issue you’re describing, you can turn that off as well in the same config panel mentioned above by unchecking “Error Highlighting”. These settings are per user and stored in the browser.

If it’s still slow after any of these changes please let us know as there might be something else going on.

Thanks,
Johan

Kumar Fraj

Nov 29, 2017, 8:50:18 AM11/29/17
to Hue-Users, sauli...@gmail.com
Hi Johan, thanks for the quick response,

It's still the same with everything from the settings menu disabled. Additionally, I've noticed that with a new Hive Editor window (and the before mentioned settings disabled), after only pasting some query code to the editor, the browser tab immediatelly hangs. At the same time in the Chrome's Task Manager it can be seen that one of the CPU cores is maxed out, with "Memory used" for that tab rising up to ~2.5Gb in my case and staying like this for some time. I'm not sure what may be causing it, but the process does end after some time. Also, I've noticed that it's a bit quicker on the IE. Is there a way to debug this?

Johan Ahlen

Nov 29, 2017, 9:16:45 AM11/29/17
to Kumar Fraj, Hue-Users
Hi Kumar,

The best way to debug is to check the performance tab in the browser development tools, but it’s tricky if you’re not familiar with the source code. I can reproduce this when editing a query containing 100 tables with both autocomplete and syntax checker turned off. I’ll need to investigate a bit more and hopefully will have a fix soon, tracked in https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-7695.

Thanks,
Johan

Johan Ahlen

Nov 30, 2017, 9:43:51 AM11/30/17
to Kumar Fraj, Hue-Users
Hi Kumar,

I did some improvements today and you can find the specific commits in https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-7695 and https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-6688.

Cheers,
Johan

Kumar Fraj

Nov 30, 2017, 10:02:09 AM11/30/17
to Hue-Users, sauli...@gmail.com
Hi Johan,

thanks for the quick fix!

Is there a quick guide on how to implement these fixes on top of HUE 4.1? I suppose a full rebuild of the package is necessary, however I don't have much experience with this and not sure how to properly merge the suggested commits with the stable 4.1 release. Or should we wait for the official 4.2/4.3 release?

Thanks!