Question regarding times and timezones for Oozie Coordinators

Lars Francke

Sep 30, 2013, 9:52:19 AM9/30/13
to hue-...@cloudera.org
Hi,

I'm trying to create a Coordinator using Hue 2.5.0.

The help file says: "Select how many times the coordinator will run
for each specified unit, the start and end times of the coordinator,
the timezone of the start and end times, and click Next. Times must be
expressed as UTC times. For example, to run at 10 pm PST, specify a
start time of 6 am UTC of the following day (+8 hours) and set the
Timezone field to America/Los_Angeles."

So I specify a start and end time as well as a timezone. The last
sentence says that the times have to be in UTC but the one before that
allows me to select a timezone "of the start and end times". Those
things seem to contradict each other, or I fail to understand them :)

I have no idea what to do now. Especially as the "Next materialized
time" field does not have any relation to a time that I set (neither
in UTC nor in my selected timezone)

frequency="${coord:minutes(15)}"
start="2013-09-30T13:30Z" end="2015-03-01T09:18Z" timezone="Europe/Berlin"
Next materialized time: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 07:30:00
Start time: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 06:30:00
Next submission: Sun, 01 Mar 2015, 01:18:00

If anyone could explain to me how all these are related I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Lars

Abraham Elmahrek

Sep 30, 2013, 1:46:01 PM9/30/13
to Lars Francke, Hue-Users
Hey Lars,

Take a look at this: http://oozie.apache.org/docs/3.3.2/CoordinatorFunctionalSpec.html#a4.3._Timezones_and_Daylight-Saving. It looks like the purpose of timezone is to enable daylight-savings logic.

-Abe

Romain Rigaux

Sep 30, 2013, 2:26:10 PM9/30/13
to Abraham Elmahrek, Lars Francke, Hue-Users
In Oozie all the Coordinator times are UTC (and should be entered as UTC). As Abe said above, the timezone is only used for the daylight-saving changes.

If using Berlin timezone, UTC + 1, you should entered the current time + 1 hour.

Romain

Lars Francke

Oct 1, 2013, 5:38:36 AM10/1/13
to hue-...@cloudera.org
Thank you very much for both of your replies!

It works now! The other issue was that our Hue was set to the wrong
time zone hence the discrepancy and confusion on my part there.

The documentation for around this issue could probably be improved by
mentioning that the timezone only applies to daylight-saving changes
and referring to the link Abe provided.

Cheers,
Lars

Romain Rigaux

Oct 1, 2013, 11:51:03 AM10/1/13
to Lars Francke, Hue-Users
Glad to hear!

And going point, I created https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-1613 and we will clarify the notes in the Coordinator editor.

Romain

Afraa Qazi

Apr 5, 2018, 11:45:05 AM4/5/18
to Hue-Users
Hi Lars,

Understanding that you have the timezone issue resolved, can you explain to me how this works?
I am absolutely new to the hue environment and am clueless how to proceed.

I am trying to schedule jobs according to GMT, London time. But nothing has worked yet.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Afraa