Setting up Hue

Dan Romanski

Oct 19, 2017, 11:21:14 PM10/19/17
to Hue-Users
Hey Everybody,

I apologize if this is too basic of a question for this group, but I am having trouble finalizing the setup on my Mac. I am new to Hadoop and Terminal. I added my comment to this page but essentially I am getting the make: *** No rule to make target `apps’. Stop error. The comment above it says to make sure to be in the Hue folder. My question is, how do I do this?

I have been having trouble with the Hadoop file structure as a whole so I am hoping Hue will help me better understand it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Dan

Jordan Moore

Oct 25, 2017, 2:10:55 AM10/25/17
to Hue-Users
Hey Dan,

First, it's worth mentioning that Hadoop doesn't really enforce a file stucture outside of the hdfs:///user/ directory. Not sure Hue will help you in that case any more than a simple "hdfs dfs -ls /"

In any case, Hue uses Makefiles to build it's environment. You need to be in a folder containing a Makefile for the Make targets to be resolved. For Hue, "apps" is such a target.

 it says to make sure to be in the Hue folder. My question is, how do I do this?

You use "cd" to change directories in a terminal.

For example,

$ cd ~  # go to home directory
$ git clone
--depth=1 https://github.com/cloudera/hue.git  # checkout Hue source
$ cd hue
# go to hue directory
$ make apps

Personally, unless you are planning on developing some code, I would recommend not building from the source, at least from the master branch. The tarball package available at the Download link should be runnable on its own. If you do use the git sources, and you want to target a particular release, you should checkout the corresponding release branch.