Bug with using escaped Unicode in Hive / Impala Query editor?

csieb...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2015, 12:15:19 PM8/27/15
to Hue-Users
If I try to use escaped Unicode in the Query editor and in workflows, it does not work correctly with very weird behaviour:

    select  '\ud2b8\ub9ac\ubc14\uace0';

returns
    㐆⻬⾶ⱌ

which actually is \u3406\u2eec\u2fb6\u2c4c

I could understand it if it did not work at all, or if it worked perfectly, but it just produces an entirely different output.
I was able to reproduce this in the cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.4.2-0-virtualbox

Is this a bug with Hue, the cloudera distribution, or hadoop in general?

Jenny Kim

Aug 27, 2015, 5:19:24 PM8/27/15
to Hue-Users, csieb...@gmail.com
Have you tried running the same query directly in the hive and impala shells to determine if you get the same behavior?

Jenny Kim

Aug 27, 2015, 5:30:04 PM8/27/15
to Hue-Users, csieb...@gmail.com
It looks like Hive is also returning an invalid character for the last unicode character.

I would suggest asking this in the Cloudera Batch SQL Forum: