Turn on cli debugging

Andrew Stevenson

Oct 6, 2015, 2:43:42 PM10/6/15
to cdk...@cloudera.org
Guys,

How do I turn on more logging at the cli? I've added the debug flag but just get the environment variables, class path plus the parquet writer?

The reason I ask is because it takes along time to spin up the crunch job even in local mode.

Regards

Andrew

Ryan Blue

Oct 6, 2015, 2:49:39 PM10/6/15
to Andrew Stevenson, cdk...@cloudera.org
Add -v before the command:

kite-dataset -v copy d1 d2

rb
> --

Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Andrew Stevenson

Oct 6, 2015, 3:23:25 PM10/6/15
to Ryan Blue, cdk...@cloudera.org
I've done that but get nothing extra.

Regards

Andrew
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org.

Ryan Blue

Oct 6, 2015, 3:53:47 PM10/6/15
to Andrew Stevenson, cdk...@cloudera.org
In that case, you would probably need to change the logging settings,
which are controlled by a log4j properties file in the command's
embedded jar. There might also be a way to control this on the command
line using the flags= variable that passes arguments to the hadoop command.

The crunch spin-up time just got a lot better when I fixed the classpath
issues in KITE-1083. When using CDH installed by parcels, Kite was
really ugly. Startup for copy jobs went down dramatically after that
patch. Maybe you could try building the current master and seeing if
that fixes it?

rb

Andrew Stevenson

Oct 6, 2015, 4:13:25 PM10/6/15
to Ryan Blue, cdk...@cloudera.org
I'll try that. I did see the hadoop class path was rather large.

Regards

Andrew

Oct 7, 2015, 12:13:00 PM10/7/15
to Andrew Stevenson, cdk...@cloudera.org
Only if you're using a dataset in HBase. Maybe we could do the same sort
of logic we use for Hive when submitting jobs. We currently check
whether the dataset is Hive and will run via MR and then add
dependencies for it. We could do the same for HBase, though the initial
classpath needs to include everything to know where to pull the jars from.

rb