Kite hbase/hive integration

Brandon Davis

Aug 19, 2014, 4:15:16 PM8/19/14
to cdk...@cloudera.org
Hello, I currently have some kite entities stored in hbase tables. Two of my tables are relatively simple and have one kite entity apiece. The third one is a little more complicated and has four kite entities stored in one table.
I've attempted to start with the simpler tables and try to write a hive CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE command so I can query my hbase table through hive, but have been unsuccessful so far.
Is there currently anything within Kite that I can use to facilitate this process? An api to create a hive table over my hbase table? An api to generate the create command that I can run to create the hive table over my hbase table?

Thanks,
Brandon

Ryan Blue

Aug 20, 2014, 2:22:08 PM8/20/14
to Brandon Davis, cdk...@cloudera.org
Hi Brandon,

Good question. Unfortunately, Hive and HBase and Kite don't play nicely
together, yet. What you want to do probably isn't possible today because
Hive doesn't know about Kite's avro-based serialization, but I don't
think it's that far off either. We have an InputFormat and OutputFormat
that Hive could use. The only trouble would be hooking those up to the
predicate push-down so Hive can treat the Kite dataset as an
unpartitioned table and Kite can internally take care of the HBase part.

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Mariana

Feb 12, 2016, 12:09:33 PM2/12/16
to CDK Development, brandon.da...@gmail.com
Is there a solution already?

Thank you.
Mariana

Joey Echeverria

Feb 12, 2016, 12:11:37 PM2/12/16
to Mariana, CDK Development, brandon.da...@gmail.com
This solution doesn't exist. If someone is interested in contributing this feature I'd be happy to mentor them through our contributor process[1].

-Joey

Joey Echeverria
Director of Engineering

Mariana

Feb 15, 2016, 5:07:41 AM2/15/16
to CDK Development, 63m...@gmail.com, brandon.da...@gmail.com
Joey, thank you for your quick reply.

Since Hive does not play along with kite, are you aware of any tool, method, etc. of visualizing "Kite's avro-based serialization" data stored on HBase?

Thanks.
Mariana.

Joey Echeverria

Feb 15, 2016, 11:36:33 AM2/15/16
to Mariana, CDK Development, brandon.da...@gmail.com
The Kite CLI can be used to view records and through the use of View URIs you can execute simple "queries".

For example the following would view a single movie rating in the movie lens dataset:

-Joey