Kite 1.2.0 Planned Release Date?

Micah Whitacre

Oct 22, 2015, 9:47:09 AM10/22/15
to CDK Development
I was just curious if there was a goal or target for the next Kite release?  There are a few enhancements that would help with our processing such as combining small files, avoiding overflowing the record counter, and the partition key double encoding fix that would be great to make use of.  I know normally in the past the release page https://issues.cloudera.org/projects/KITE?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:release-page would typically have a target date but 1.2.0 has a number of outstanding issues and no date.

Thanks for the info.

Joey Echeverria

Oct 22, 2015, 10:53:16 AM10/22/15
to Micah Whitacre, CDK Development
We haven't set a date, but may be we could do that on here :)

I looked at the to-do issues[1] for 1.2.0 and it looks like only one blocker[2]. If we can get an estimate on when that issue can come in, we can set a release date and time box the other issues. Anything that can't make it, could be pushed to 1.3.0.

-Joey

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Micah Whitacre <mkw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was just curious if there was a goal or target for the next Kite release?  There are a few enhancements that would help with our processing such as combining small files, avoiding overflowing the record counter, and the partition key double encoding fix that would be great to make use of.  I know normally in the past the release page https://issues.cloudera.org/projects/KITE?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:release-page would typically have a target date but 1.2.0 has a number of outstanding issues and no date.

Thanks for the info.

Joey Echeverria
Director of Engineering

Ryan Blue

Oct 22, 2015, 4:37:04 PM10/22/15
to Joey Echeverria, Micah Whitacre, CDK Development
I've filtered the list down to the ones that I think we should get into
the 1.2.0 release. Micah, can you take a look at KITE-1033 and see if
you want it in 1.2.0?

rb

On 10/22/2015 07:53 AM, Joey Echeverria wrote:
> We haven't set a date, but may be we could do that on here :)
>
> I looked at the to-do issues[1] for 1.2.0 and it looks like only one
> blocker[2]. If we can get an estimate on when that issue can come in, we
> can set a release date and time box the other issues. Anything that
> can't make it, could be pushed to 1.3.0.
>
> -Joey
>
> [1]
> https://issues.cloudera.org/issues/?jql=statusCategory%20%3D%20new%20AND%20project%20%3D%2010143%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%2011000%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20key%20ASC
> [2] KITE-1083 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KITE-1083>
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Micah Whitacre <mkw...@gmail.com
> <mailto:mkw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I was just curious if there was a goal or target for the next Kite
> release? There are a few enhancements that would help with our
> processing such as combining small files, avoiding overflowing the
> record counter, and the partition key double encoding fix that would
> be great to make use of. I know normally in the past the release
> page
> https://issues.cloudera.org/projects/KITE?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:release-page
> would typically have a target date but 1.2.0 has a number of
> outstanding issues and no date.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> --
>

> --
> Joey Echeverria
> Director of Engineering
>
> --
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Cloudera, Inc.

Micah Whitacre

Oct 22, 2015, 5:16:46 PM10/22/15
to Ryan Blue, Joey Echeverria, CDK Development
<Replying to all this time instead of just Ryan (sorry)>

It's a nice to have b/c I've solved it a different way currently.

I think that most of stuff I'd want is already merged or out for PR.  Co-workers would like KITE-1081 but looks like you tagged that.

Ben Brown

Oct 22, 2015, 6:11:05 PM10/22/15
to Micah Whitacre, Ryan Blue, Joey Echeverria, CDK Development
I'd love to get KITE-1035 in. The PR has been out there for quite some time, at this point it seems to be just waiting on the merge button. We don't have anyone specifically blocked by this issue but it would block us if we started to move toward securing our clusters with Kerberos.

Ryan Blue

Oct 23, 2015, 12:30:18 PM10/23/15
to benjamin...@gmail.com, Micah Whitacre, Joey Echeverria, CDK Development
Sounds like a good one to include. I've marked it for 1.2.0.

rb
> <mailto:mkw...@gmail.com <mailto:mkw...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
> I was just curious if there was a goal or target for
> the next Kite
> release? There are a few enhancements that would help
> with our
> processing such as combining small files, avoiding
> overflowing the
> record counter, and the partition key double encoding
> fix that would
> be great to make use of. I know normally in the past
> the release
> page
> https://issues.cloudera.org/projects/KITE?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:release-page
> would typically have a target date but 1.2.0 has a
> number of
> outstanding issues and no date.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> --
> emails from it,
> send an email to cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
> <mailto:cdk-dev%2Bunsu...@cloudera.org>
> <mailto:cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
> <mailto:cdk-dev%2Bunsu...@cloudera.org>>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/d/optout.
>

> --
> Joey Echeverria
> Director of Engineering
>
> --
> from it, send
> an email to cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
> <mailto:cdk-dev%2Bunsu...@cloudera.org>
> <mailto:cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
> <mailto:cdk-dev%2Bunsu...@cloudera.org>>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/d/optout.
>

> --
> Ryan Blue
> Software Engineer
> Cloudera, Inc.

Micah Whitacre

Jan 7, 2016, 2:39:16 PM1/7/16
to CDK Development, benjamin...@gmail.com, mkw...@gmail.com, jo...@rocana.com
So the list of issues remaining 1.2 has decreased a bit but time has also passed.  I was wondering if the outstanding issues are really blockers for a 1.2.0 release or if it would be worthwhile cutting a release with what is currently in master or easily merge-able?  There are a number of significant or critical bug fixes in Kite 1.2 that'd be worthwhile getting out and help to stop having to maintain our internal fork since they aren't released.

That being said there is one issue that would be important to get in[2] and another functionally that would be helpful and low risk[3].  Some of the others on the list have pulls out but really are just nice to haves.

Thoughts?

>             <mailto:cdk-dev%2B...@cloudera.org>
>                  <mailto:cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
>             <mailto:cdk-dev%2B...@cloudera.org>>.
>                  For more options, visit
>             https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/d/optout.
>

>             --
>             Joey Echeverria
>             Director of Engineering
>
>             --
>             from it, send
>             an email to cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
>             <mailto:cdk-dev%2B...@cloudera.org>
>             <mailto:cdk-dev+u...@cloudera.org
>             <mailto:cdk-dev%2B...@cloudera.org>>.

Eric Pheatt

Mar 24, 2017, 6:20:44 PM3/24/17
to CDK Development
Hi,

I'm creating a small POC kafka-connect morphlines integration (see https://github.com/epheatt/kafka-connect-morphlines) that would benefit from https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KITE-1136 being included in the 1.2.0 release due to managed-schemas being the default in solr 5.x+, though I do have a workaround for my use case since we still use the legacy schema.xml for fine grained control in most cases.

On a related note if anyone has an example of a custom command that will write content to a kafka topic along with a toAvro that will work with Confluents schema registry that would save me from having to implement it myself for my ETL needs to replace some flume processes we have with kafka-connect managed processes.

Thanks,
Eric

maa...@bosteels.eu

Nov 2, 2018, 9:30:56 AM11/2/18
to CDK Development, benjamin...@gmail.com, mkw...@gmail.com, jo...@rocana.com
I was just curious if there are any plans to create a new Kite release?

Maarten