Transfer patient PFI

Nikolas Matthes

Feb 23, 2021, 2:47:06 PMFeb 23
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss
In the Adult Sepsis COVID-19 Data Dictionary D 2.0 two data elements Transfer Facility Identifier Receiving and Transfer Facility Identifier Sending require the submission of the receiving or sending hospital PFI. Feedback has been received that not all hospitals will always have this information in an EHR-extractable form. Can you please provide feedback whether this will be an issue for your facility or not.

Best regards,

The Sepsis Team

Katherine Haun

Feb 23, 2021, 3:25:57 PMFeb 23
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Nikolas Matthes
yes this seems to be an issue for us as well

Gottardo, Kim

Feb 25, 2021, 8:13:36 AMFeb 25
to Katherine Haun, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Nikolas Matthes

This would be a problem for all of our facilities as well. This is something that is NOT stored in our system.

Kim Gottardo

Report Analyst

Enterprise Reporting Team

T-631-465-4137

Email: Kim.Go...@chsli.org

Feb 25, 2021, 8:41:23 AMFeb 25
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gottardo, Kim, Nikolas Matthes, khau...@gmail.com
This is looking to be an impact for UPMC Chautauqua as well

Gregory Briddick, Jr.

Feb 25, 2021, 8:46:07 AMFeb 25
to L Bartle, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gottardo, Kim, Nikolas Matthes, khau...@gmail.com
Ok. So let me get this straight.  Multiple hospitals (hospital systems) do not collect the originating hospital (on transfer in) or destination hospital (for transfer out)?  This seems very problematic from a liability standpoint.

The EHRs that I have worked with (Meditech, Cerner, and Epic) have all had fields where this information is stored. The question is whether or not this is structured or unstructured data. Even though Epic has this collected within the system, we have to make a crosswalk for the PFI list.

This just seems very concerning that institutions do not collect this data.

Feb 25, 2021, 8:56:48 AMFeb 25
to Gregory Briddick, Jr., L Bartle, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Nikolas Matthes, khau...@gmail.com

Just to be clear, we do collect this data but it is not the PFI id number that is being asked to provide.

Kim Gottardo

Report Analyst

Enterprise Reporting Team

T-631-465-4137

Email: Kim.Go...@chsli.org

Feb 25, 2021, 8:58:17 AMFeb 25
to Gregory Briddick, Jr., L Bartle, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gottardo, Kim, Nikolas Matthes
To clarify for the Garnet Health System we might have the facility we are transferring out stored in the system but not as a numeric number (TIN or CCN etc)  it would be in character form (title of facility or abbreviation).  Also this would be a workflow process to review for our facility as most of the time this data is placed in notes and not specifically specified in a discreet field upon DC/ transfer.
--
Life without a smile isn't a life at all ... so always remember me :)

Gregory Briddick, Jr.

Feb 25, 2021, 9:10:58 AMFeb 25
to Katherine Haun, L Bartle, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gottardo, Kim, Nikolas Matthes
That makes a lot more sense. If it is in a CHAR (or derivative) field, we can write a field search for the hospitals based on text. That’s wouldn’t be exceptionally difficult. If the data is in a discharge/admission note, that would be problematic.

Sent from my iPhone

Jaz-Michael King

Mar 2, 2021, 9:38:33 AMMar 2
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gregory Briddick, Jr., bartl...@gmail.com, ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, Gottardo, Kim, Nikolas Matthes, khau...@gmail.com
I was wondering if it was simply a lack of PFI, which it appears is the issue - and correctly so, hospitals may need to transfer to non-PFI institutions (out of state NJ CT PA... or veteran's health,  for example). When we first built the data dictionary, we relied heavily on SPARCS data elements on the premise it was already being collected by someone, somewhere for discharge data purposes.

So, to move to the clinical data set...

I am relatively certain that when entering the transfer in/out facility, users begin typing or searching from a character/name list, but I'd be surprised to find out there's not a unique identifier behind that in the underlying system.

We can choose to receive non-standard names (many issues arise with naming) but I'd be curious if folks could confirm if that name is tied to a CCN or NPI or even a local system database ID we could explore for re-use.

IPRO folks: we can potentially use Pellucid.Entities tables to map names to numbers if needed - https://pellucid.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PEL/pages/8028200/entity+hospitals

But of course, if we can avoid varchar names, let's do our utmost to get rigourous data.