County Codes

Carol Riter

Mar 24, 2022, 9:48:49 AM3/24/22
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss
Good Morning,

I'm curious how other hospitals are handling the build for county codes.  It's a lot of work for our IT department and they are pushing back on this.  Any information about formatting or shortcuts would be much appreciated.  Also I assume the 0-9 can accept multiple digits as the codes are not single digit.

Thanks,
Carol

Gregory Briddick, Jr.

Mar 24, 2022, 9:56:23 AM3/24/22
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, stefani...@gmail.com
What platform are you trying to work on the mapping?  SQL, Python?

Carol Riter

Mar 24, 2022, 11:06:40 AM3/24/22
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, gbri...@gmail.com, Carol Riter
Hi, We are Cerner and use CCL.  IT is working to figure out if our program needs to build logic to handle all those codes.

Gregory Briddick, Jr.

Mar 24, 2022, 11:10:32 AM3/24/22
to ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss, stefani...@gmail.com, Gregory Briddick, Jr.
I am not familiar with CCL.  Cerner typically utilizes Oracle for their databases.  If your IT is comfortable with working with JSON in their system, there is a Python code which will pull the CDCs Zipcode mapping to FIPS.  See here.....  https://github.com/bgruber/zip2fips

Carol Riter

Mar 24, 2022, 11:17:24 AM3/24/22
to Gregory Briddick, Jr., ny-sepsis-ehr-discuss
Thanks so much Gregory!
--
"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you."
                        Ralph Waldo Emerson