How to use [index.type=memory]?

Ajay Kamble

Feb 1, 2016, 3:56:27 AM2/1/16
to Stardog
When creating a new database a property [index.type] is available. Its default value is [disk].

What are the implications if this property is set to [memory]. Does it affect performance of the queries? If yes is it true of any query or specific queries (like textMatch)?

How much memory should be allocated to the JVM process of the Stardog server [if I have to use memory type index]?

-Ajay

Michael Grove

Feb 1, 2016, 6:37:51 AM2/1/16
to stardog
On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 3:56 AM, Ajay Kamble <ajay.ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
When creating a new database a property [index.type] is available. Its default value is [disk].

What are the implications if this property is set to [memory].

The database is stored only in memory.

Does it affect performance of the queries? If yes is it true of any query or specific queries (like textMatch)?

Simple queries could be faster.  Intermediate result sets are held in memory regardless of the database type, so for more complicated queries, a disk-based database will probably be faster as it has more of main memory available for query answering since a large chunk of it is not taken by the database itself.

How much memory should be allocated to the JVM process of the Stardog server [if I have to use memory type index]?

Depends on your workload, a few GB may be sufficient; but we recommend disk databases for anything more than a couple million triples, and for any production usage.

Cheers,

Mike

-Ajay

--