query rewrites in SL/QL

Pierluigi Miraglia

Jan 31, 2017, 4:09:55 PM1/31/17
to Stardog
Hi, is there a way (either CLI or code) to expose the expanded query when query rewriting is used?  (Which I understand is for any reasoning mode other than DL.).  I am running some queries with reasoning enabled on a fairly simple model with a small data set.  The queries work as expected in DL mode (the inference all work in a Jena inference model, too).  In SL or QL, some queries work as expected (and I'd say faster than DL), but others run into a Saturation not completed error, and never return.

I suspect that there are recursive queries in the fully expanded set, but I can't find a way to expose what the expanded set looks like when Stardog rewrites the query.

Thanks!

PS: extra question in case someone has time: Are there ways to improve execution speeds on DL reasoning? (My model is less than 50K queries and I'm using abundant limits on the Xmx/Xmx/DirectMem java parameters.)

Zachary Whitley

Jan 31, 2017, 4:29:56 PM1/31/17
to Stardog
I think you should be able to see the expanded query by using "stardog query explain -r" in the CLI or the equivalent calls in the API. I believe that the query is probably rewritten at the abstract query plan level and probably never exists a query in the SPARQL query syntax. See this recent blog post on how to read the query plans [1]

As far as ways to improve execution speeds try taking a look at http://docs.stardog.com/#_performance_hints

[1] http://blog.stardog.com/how-to-read-stardog-query-plans/

--
-- --