Property chains and sameAs reasoning doesn't work in CONSTRUCT queries

Håvard Ottestad

Oct 26, 2016, 12:04:16 PM10/26/16
to Stardog
Hi,

I'm getting different results when I write my query as a SELECT than when I write a CONSTRUCT. I'm using property chains in my ontology together with sameAs statements in my data. I've created a mock example to show the issue.

My mock example has a parent relation and a sibling relation. The sibling relations is subPropertyOf "parent o inverse parent". I have two parents with sameAs statements, so effectivley just one parent. And I have 3 children, 2 +1, and with the sameAs reasoning they should all become siblings.

construct{
:parent2Child2 :sibling ?b.

}  where {
:parent2Child2 :sibling ?b.
}

Returns:

:parent2Child2 :sibling parent2Child
:parent2Child2 :sibling parent2Child2

select *  where {
:parent2Child2 :sibling ?b.
}

Returns:

:parent2Child
:parent2Child2
:parent1Child

I've attached my data to this post together with a screenshot of my reasoning settings.

Regards,
Håvard M. Ottestad

parentSameAs copy.ttl
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 18.02.07.png

Evren Sirin

Oct 27, 2016, 4:01:32 PM10/27/16
to Stardog
Thanks a lot for the minimal, reproducible example. It turns out that
the underlying problem is the interaction of sameAs reasoning with
BIND operators (CONSTRUCT query introduces a BIND automatically in the
query plan). We created the internal ticket #3225 for this issue and
will fix it in the next release.

Thanks,
Evren
> --
> -- --

Håvard Ottestad

Oct 28, 2016, 6:31:53 AM10/28/16
to Stardog
Thank you Evren for looking into this so quickly. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next release :)

Could I also ask.

If I introduce a new property, ex:relatesTo and make it subPropertyOf owl:sameAs. Is sameAs reasoning supposed to work still, even though I'm not explicitly adding the sameAs relation?