Indexes full rebuild every restart?

marvin...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2016, 1:03:23 AM4/28/16
to Stardog
Each time our Stardog server is restarted after a shutdown (using stardog-admin CLI commands) it seems to decide to fully rebuild all the indexes on one of our databases.
The only other database on the same server that has both spatial and text indexes is unaffected.

There is sometimes hours between shutdown & restart so timing shouldn't be an issue.

We have a lot of spatial geometry data so the rebuild currently takes around 4 hours to complete. (eg current log entry Building Spatial Index: 5% complete in 00:30:36 (0.0K features/sec))
The spatial index files are currently around 3GB in size, database files are ~2GB containing ~90M triples.
Text indexes are rebuilt too (but these are small and it's quick).

While this is happening, the Stardog server is unusable. HTTP access is only allowed once the reindexing has completed.

This database has not been updated/added to in weeks so I would expect should not require a rebuild each time we restart the server.

Stardog version 4.0.5
Linux OS

Any ideas on what's causing this or a way to stop this happening each restart?

Servers are managed so are automatically restarted after security updates etc.
Stardog is shutdown cleanly before host server restart.

The wait gives me a lot of time for a coffee.....

Thanks,
Chris

Michael Grove

Apr 28, 2016, 6:00:18 AM4/28/16
to stardog
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:03 AM, <marvin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Each time our Stardog server is restarted after a shutdown (using stardog-admin CLI commands) it seems to decide to fully rebuild all the indexes on one of our databases.
The only other database on the same server that has both spatial and text indexes is unaffected.

There is sometimes hours between shutdown & restart so timing shouldn't be an issue.

We have a lot of spatial geometry data so the rebuild currently takes around 4 hours to complete. (eg current log entry Building Spatial Index: 5% complete in 00:30:36 (0.0K features/sec))
The spatial index files are currently around 3GB in size, database files are ~2GB containing ~90M triples.
Text indexes are rebuilt too (but these are small and it's quick).

While this is happening, the Stardog server is unusable. HTTP access is only allowed once the reindexing has completed.

That's to be expected, the server isn't running yet.

This database has not been updated/added to in weeks so I would expect should not require a rebuild each time we restart the server.

Stardog version 4.0.5
Linux OS

Any ideas on what's causing this or a way to stop this happening each restart?

If this is happening on every restart, can you send us the system folder and the `index.metadata` file in the directory of the database that keeps restarting?

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

marvin...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2016, 6:46:43 PM4/28/16
to Stardog

index.metadata attached.

Thanks Mike,
Chris

index.metadata

Michael Grove

May 4, 2016, 2:45:27 PM5/4/16
to stardog
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Michael Grove <mi...@stardog.com> wrote:

[...]

Could you also provide the system directory?

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers