Major difference between Stardog and Neo4j

Ling

Jan 11, 2017, 4:35:54 PM1/11/17
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi, All:

I just got to know Neo4j. I am trying to find what's the major differences between Neo4j and Stardog. May I say one of the major differences between the two is that:

Stardog natively supports OWL ontology and reasoner, but Neo4j doesn't support?

Also, Stardog supports user rules ("IF... TTHEN"), but Neo4j doesn't.

Very appreciative of your insights or advice on the questions.

Ling

zma...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2017, 11:56:38 AM1/12/17
to Stardog, ling...@gmail.com
Hey Ling, I think you captured it well with the 2 items you mentioned. For us it was mainly the native support for OWL/RDF and native support for SPARQL out of the box, when we evaluated Neo4J at the time we would have needed to take our RDF file use code I've written to translate RDF into Neo4J nodes and load it into neo. Another reason why we went with stardog was the fact that we can issue SPARQL directly to it and get the required responses which allowed our taxonomists the ability to build business logic based on their interactions with the business.

HTH
~Zaid

Tom Kelly

Jan 12, 2017, 4:30:05 PM1/12/17
to sta...@clarkparsia.com, ling...@gmail.com
I would add the following to Zaid's comments of Stardog's advantages over Neo4j:

1.  Ability to use public and local semantic data models
2.  Named graphs (logical separation of data within the database)
3.  GeoSPARQL support for geospatial queries
4.  SERVICE support for federated query processing

Of course, these are optional features that you can use when you need them.

Tom Kelly
Cognizant

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Stardog" group.

Ling

Jan 17, 2017, 3:57:19 PM1/17/17
to Tom Kelly, sta...@clarkparsia.com

Hi, Tom and Zaid:

I have two more questions:

1) For this, what does it mean by "semantically typed search" here? it would be great if you give a little example to illustrate the concept.

Semantic Search

Full text, semantically typed search out of the box

2) In terms of documentation, I don't see any tutorial or books on stardogs. Do you know of any good tutorials of introducing stardogs with real examples/use cases?

Thank you.
Ling

For more options, visit this group at
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Stardog" group.

Zachary Whitley

Jan 17, 2017, 4:51:23 PM1/17/17
to Stardog
I'll let someone else answer #1.

As for your question #2, for documentation see the Stardog docs [1] and examples see the stardog-examples github repo [2]

[1] http://docs.stardog.com
[2] https://github.com/stardog-union/stardog-examples

Michael Grove

Jan 19, 2017, 10:06:52 AM1/19/17
to stardog
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Zachary Whitley <zachary...@wavestrike.com> wrote:
I'll let someone else answer #1.

You can query the full-text index as part of a normal sparql query:

SELECT DISTINCT ?s
WHERE {
  ?s foaf:name ?l.
  ?s a foaf:Person .
  ?l <tag:stardog:api:property:textMatch> 'Mik*'.
}

Get all the people whose name matches the full-text query. You can further refine the results w/ additional BGPs, group, filter, order them, etc.

Cheers,

Mike