Stardog Web Console UI feedback

zachary...@wavestrike.com

Aug 24, 2015, 2:32:16 PM8/24/15
to Stardog
I was just messing around with the Stardog Web Console Tree Browser and had some feedback. I'm using Firefox 38.1.0 on Linux and noticed that when you mouse over a property an "X" appears beside the property. It doesn't seem to appear consistently. I need to dance the mouse around to get it to appear and it isn't apparent what behavior gets it to eventually appear but it eventually does.

At first I didn't know what the "x" did but when I clicked on it I was a little surprised that the property went away. At first I thought I had deleted the property before noticing that it had populated the filter bar and that's why it wasn't listed. I realize that it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing but I thought you might be interested in the UX.

I was also a little curious why a boolean was depicted with an "Empty" icon. Again not a problem but just wondering why.

Edgar Rodriguez

Aug 26, 2015, 5:18:04 PM8/26/15
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi,

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:32 PM, zachary...@wavestrike.com wrote:
>
> I was just messing around with the Stardog Web Console Tree Browser and had some feedback. I'm using Firefox 38.1.0 on Linux and noticed that when you mouse over a property an "X" appears beside the property. It doesn't seem to appear consistently. I need to dance the mouse around to get it to appear and it isn't apparent what behavior gets it to eventually appear but it eventually does.

This is a bug and we have an open ticket for this issue (#2462) which will be fixed in the next release.

> At first I didn't know what the "x" did but when I clicked on it I was a little surprised that the property went away. At first I thought I had deleted the property before noticing that it had populated the filter bar and that's why it wasn't listed. I realize that it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing but I thought you might be interested in the UX.

Thank you for the comments. This feature is to remove tree branches in which you’re not interested, to allow for better visualization when an individual has several relations.

> I was also a little curious why a boolean was depicted with an "Empty" icon. Again not a problem but just wondering why.

As in stardog 3.1.4 boolean values should be rendered as checkboxes. String values could be rendered with an “Empty” icon in case they’re empty strings.
What version of stardog are you using?

If you load the following sample into a db and browse to the data, you should be able to see a checkbox and an Empty icon for the empty string.

```
@prefix : <http://mydata.com/test#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

:projectX a :Project ;
:active "true"^^xsd:boolean ;
:idString ""^^xsd:string .
```

This could be an issue, could you share the data you are using to verify?

Thanks.

Best,
Edgar

zachary...@wavestrike.com

Aug 28, 2015, 2:59:40 PM8/28/15
to Stardog

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, Edgar R wrote:
Hi,

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:32 PM, zachary...@wavestrike.com wrote:
>
> I was just messing around with the Stardog Web Console Tree Browser and had some feedback. I'm using Firefox 38.1.0 on Linux and noticed that when you mouse over a property an "X" appears beside the property. It doesn't seem to appear consistently. I need to dance the mouse around to get it to appear and it isn't apparent what behavior gets it to eventually appear but it eventually does.

This is a bug and we have an open ticket for this issue (#2462) which will be fixed in the next release.

This might have be previously mentioned but is there a place to see open tickets that I can check to see if there's already an open ticket?

> At first I didn't know what the "x" did but when I clicked on it I was a little surprised that the property went away. At first I thought I had deleted the property before noticing that it had populated the filter bar and that's why it wasn't listed. I realize that it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing but I thought you might be interested in the UX.

Thank you for the comments. This feature is to remove tree branches in which you’re not interested, to allow for better visualization when an individual has several relations.

> I was also a little curious why a boolean was depicted with an "Empty" icon. Again not a problem but just wondering why.

As in stardog 3.1.4 boolean values should be rendered as checkboxes. String values could be rendered with an “Empty” icon in case they’re empty strings.
What version of stardog are you using?

I had an older 2.2.1 version but recently upgraded to 3.1.1. The behavior is consistent with what you said and the data below so there are no problems.

If you load the following sample into a db and browse to the data, you should be able to see a checkbox and an Empty icon for the empty string.

```
@prefix : <http://mydata.com/test#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .

:projectX a :Project ;
    :active "true"^^xsd:boolean ;
    :idString ""^^xsd:string .
```

This could be an issue, could you share the data you are using to verify?

Thanks.

My pleasure. I'm sure you guys have a million more important things to work on but don't think that the extra polish you guys put into Stardog isn't appreciated.

Best,
Edgar

Edgar Rodriguez

Aug 28, 2015, 3:41:22 PM8/28/15
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
On Aug 28, 2015, at 2:59 PM, zachary...@wavestrike.com wrote:

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, Edgar R wrote:
Hi,

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:32 PM, zachary...@wavestrike.com wrote:
>
> I was just messing around with the Stardog Web Console Tree Browser and had some feedback. I'm using Firefox 38.1.0 on Linux and noticed that when you mouse over a property an "X" appears beside the property. It doesn't seem to appear consistently. I need to dance the mouse around to get it to appear and it isn't apparent what behavior gets it to eventually appear but it eventually does.

This is a bug and we have an open ticket for this issue (#2462) which will be fixed in the next release.

This might have be previously mentioned but is there a place to see open tickets that I can check to see if there's already an open ticket?

Currently there’s no place to track open tickets other than this mailing list, but we do mention closed tickets in the release notes[1].

Cheers,
Edgar