classes which satisfy graph pattern with reasoning turned off are not returned with reasoning on

1 view

steve....@vanderbilt.edu

Feb 25, 2016, 11:00:25 PM2/25/16
to Stardog
This problem is described in the "Breaking Stardog" section of http://baskauf.blogspot.com/2016/02/stress-testing-stardog-reasoner.html

The test I ran involved loading the files in https://github.com/baskaufs/Bioimages/blob/master/bioimages-rdf.zip .  The file dsw.owl was loaded as a named graph that was specified as the Tbox.  The other files were loaded in the default graph.

I ran the query

SELECT DISTINCT ?class
WHERE {
  ?occurrence dsw:hasEvidence ?token.
  ?token a ?class.

  ?occurrence dsw:atEvent ?event.
  ?event dsw:locatedAt ?location.
  ?location dwc:countryCode "US".
}

without reasoning turned on and it quickly returned the correct classes:

dcmitype:StillImage
dwc:PreservedSpecimen

With reasoning turned on, the first time I ran the query, it timed out. On subsequent attempts, the query took 12 minutes to complete, but no results were returned.  At a minimum, the same classes should be returned as before, but the results should also include the class

dsw:Token

which is entailed by use of a predicate with a range declaration.  There was no error message or timeout message given that I could see.

Zachary Whitley

Feb 26, 2016, 10:33:53 AM2/26/16
to Stardog
You sure you're not seeing anything in the logs? I gave it a try and it blew through heap space fairly quickly. (I allocated 8g to heap). What version of Stardog are you running. I tried it on 4.0.5

--
-- --
---

Evren Sirin

Feb 26, 2016, 10:50:11 AM2/26/16
to Stardog
We looked at the performance problems with this query and the problem
seems to be the query optimizer not handling {?token a ?class} pattern
efficiently. We created a ticket (#2835) for this issue.

For the patterns that retrieve types of an individual, Stardog will
execute additional queries behind the scenes. If these subqueries time
out a warning is printed in the log but the end user would receive
incomplete results and no warnings. This behavior is not ideal and
we'll make improvements here.

Best,
Evren

Pavel Klinov

Mar 4, 2016, 2:34:55 PM3/4/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello Steve,

We have improved performance of such queries and I can confirm that your query can be executed in about 2-3s (on my laptop). It yields the following results: owl:Thing, Token, StillImage, PreservedSpecimen and Specimen.

The changes will be included in the next release.

Best,
Pavel

Steve Baskauf

Mar 8, 2016, 10:35:06 AM3/8/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Pavel,
Thanks for letting me know.  I'm excited to try out the new release when it comes out.  Do you have any idea when it's going to be released?
Steve

Pavel Klinov wrote:
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Stardog" group.

Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
PMB 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 322-4942
If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu
http://vanderbilt.edu/trees

Michael Grove

Mar 9, 2016, 6:54:00 AM3/9/16
to stardog
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Steve Baskauf <steve....@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
Pavel,
Thanks for letting me know.  I'm excited to try out the new release when it comes out.  Do you have any idea when it's going to be released?

The next version will be released in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Mike