Re: [stardog-users] Stardog with Python

Mike Grove

Dec 13, 2012, 1:48:27 PM12/13/12
to stardog

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Alex Jouravlev <businessa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is Java the default and only way to work with Stardog? I was thinking about using Python as it looks more productive than Java on quick prototyping. Any recommendation, experiences?

Java is the primary way to work with Stardog, but you could use other JVM-based languages pretty easily I'd imagine.

We maintain and support Stardog.js [1] a Javascript implementation of the Stardog HTTP API.  There is also a 3rd party implementation of the HTTP protocol in Python [2].  This appears to not be actively maintained, but would probably still work with Stardog 1.1, and if not, could probably be updated with minimal effort.

Additionally, you can use Groovy [3], or if you don't mind sticking with Java and are familiar with Spring, you can go with the Spring integration [4].

Lastly, Stardog implements the standard SPARQL query protocol and SPARQL Graph Store protocol, so if you have a client in another language, they should be able to talk to Stardog's HTTP server without issue.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

Kendall Clark

Dec 13, 2012, 2:15:25 PM12/13/12
to stardog
For sake of completeness, I'll add to what Mike has said by pointing
out that Stardog's SNARL interface is basically a Google Protocol
Buffers-based RPC layer. It's possible to use one of several protobuf
implementations for Python (plus some kind of transport library like
Tornado or Twisted, etc) to implement a Python SNARL client pretty
easily.

As it is, I'd go with extending the existing library (pystardog).

Cheers,
Kendall

Alex Jouravlev

Dec 13, 2012, 3:10:42 PM12/13/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Mike, Kendall, thank you for your answers.

The Javascript API - is it popular? Does it support asynchronous style of programming well?

Regards,

Alex

Kendall Clark

Dec 14, 2012, 10:18:20 AM12/14/12
to stardog
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Alex Jouravlev
<businessa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike, Kendall, thank you for your answers.
>
> The Javascript API - is it popular?

Kind of a subjective question; I will say that we use it internally
and support it.

> Does it support asynchronous style of
> programming well?

You can see the source code at