Suggestion: returned warnings/errors could be more informative when setting database options

Samy Deghou

Aug 19, 2016, 4:47:54 AM8/19/16
to Stardog
Hello,

not sure if this is the right place for suggestions, but I'll try anyway.

When somebody tries setting an option on the command line or programmatically, there are a couple of nice things and a couple of not so nice (minor) things:

Good:

1) Setting an option that does exist on an unexpected value returns an error
./bin/stardog-admin metadata set -o leading.wildcard.search.enabled=falsfdgfnbe <DB>
Invalid option value: leading.wildcard.search.enabled=falsfdgfnbe.

2) Setting an option that does not exist returns an error
./bin/stardog-admin metadata set -o leading.wildcard.fakse.search.enabled=false <DB>
Invalid option value: leading.wildcard.fakse.search.enabled=false.

In both 1) and 2), I know that something was wrong, that's good

Could be better:
In 1), the option value is wrong (falsdgfnb instead of false).
In 2) the option key is wrong. I'm not saying stardog should propose an alternative option that best matches what the developer has entered, but at least knowing immediately if the key or the value was wrong would be better.

Not so good:
./bin/stardog-admin metadata set -o leading.wildcard.search.enabled=true <FAKE_DB_THAT_DOES_NOT_EXIST>
This does not return any error message nor warning.

Would be nice if Stardog could complain that the DB does not exist (of course unless you have an argument against it)

Cheers

samy

Michael Grove

Aug 19, 2016, 8:47:09 AM8/19/16
to stardog
Samy,

Thanks for the suggestion, I created issue #3081 for the improvements.

Cheers,

Mike