Reasoning and Inference Example?

pa...@lemur.org

Sep 26, 2014, 6:28:38 PM9/26/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi,

I have a basic schema to get a better understanding of Stardog, and so far I've been able to load in my model and entities without a problem.  One place I am not sure about now is showing the inferred values based on the transitive relationships in my schema.

So if I have A locatedIn B (as a transitive property) and B locationName "Here", shouldn't I be able to retrieve the properties of A with the transitive value of locationName set to Here?  I'm not trying to do type inferencing but simply the value propagation.

Are there any pointers or examples to show this process in action?

Thanks!

Evren Sirin

Sep 29, 2014, 11:32:51 AM9/29/14
to Stardog
Transitive property means the value of that specific property will be
propagated, not the values of other properties. What you are looking
for is called property chains in OWL but that works only for object
properties which is not the case here. So you need to use a rule to
define the property chain which would look as follows in Stardog rules
syntax [1] (prefix declaration omitted):

IF { ?x :locatedIn/:locationName ?name }
THEN { ?x :locationName ?name }

This rules would work in conjuction with transitivity if locatedIn is
declared to be transitive. So if you have A locatedIn B locatedIn C
where C has a locationName then both A and B would have that
locationName.

Best,
Evren

[1] http://docs.stardog.com/owl2/#sd-User-defined-Rule-Reasoning
> --
> -- --

Gregg O'Marr

Sep 30, 2014, 8:33:22 AM9/30/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Great explaination!! I believe I now understand the concept and how to implement.

Thank you.