Is reasoning connection-based or query-based?

justforthe...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2016, 3:59:39 AM4/18/16
to Stardog
The documentation says that:

Since reasoning in Stardog is enabled per Connection , you can create two pools: one with
reasoning connections, one with non-reasoning connections; and then use the one you need to
have reasoning per query; never pay for more than you need.

However I am using the same connection to execute multiple queries. The first one runs with reasoning
and works fine. For the second one I disabled the reasoning:
    SelectQuery aQuery = aCon.select(....);
    aQuery.reasoning(false);
And worked as expected too, so it seems I can just modify reasoning per query. Then, I am confused by
what the documentation says.

Zachary Whitley

Apr 18, 2016, 6:28:21 AM4/18/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
I believe it's an outdated recommendation from before that call was added to the API.

--
-- --
---

Michael Grove

Apr 19, 2016, 7:21:27 AM4/19/16
to stardog
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Zachary Whitley <zachary...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Apr 18, 2016, at 3:59 AM, justforthe...@gmail.com wrote:

The documentation says that:

Since reasoning in Stardog is enabled per Connection , you can create two pools: one with
reasoning connections, one with non-reasoning connections; and then use the one you need to
have reasoning per query; never pay for more than you need.

However I am using the same connection to execute multiple queries. The first one runs with reasoning
and works fine. For the second one I disabled the reasoning:
    SelectQuery aQuery = aCon.select(....);
    aQuery.reasoning(false);
And worked as expected too, so it seems I can just modify reasoning per query. Then, I am confused by
what the documentation says.

I believe it's an outdated recommendation from before that call was added to the API.

It's both. By default, reasoning is not used. You can specify that reasoning should be used when establishing the connection. This value is used for all subsequent queries. You can override this on a per-query basis to enable reasoning on a connection that has it disabled, or disabled it on a Connection using reasoning.

Cheers,

Mike

Jeremy Iron

Apr 19, 2016, 7:42:13 AM4/19/16
to stardog
Thanks. That was what I saw from experience. Perhaps it is worth mentioning in the documentation, as it suggests that once you create the Connection it cannot be changed (so it is not really necessary to create two pools).

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Stardog" group.