Different error messages for the same error based on protocol

Duane Holt

Mar 13, 2013, 4:41:45 PM3/13/13
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello!

I typically use Stardog's Java API to access and update my data and recently ran into a problem trouble-shooting errors. Normally, my application accesses Stardog using the default http url and the error messages returned are very vague.  When I switch to the snarl url, I get much more detail.  For development purposes, switching is fine, but in the operational environment I won't have that option.  Is it possible to pass the same level of detail in error messages when using http?

Here is an example of the differences in level of detail, using bad search input and snarl:

$ stardog query -c snarl://localhost:5820/myDb \
    -q "SELECT DISTINCT ?s ?score WHERE { ?s ?p ?l. ( ?l ?score ) <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/ARQ/property#textMatch> ( '*value' 0.5 50 ). }"
Executing Query:

SELECT DISTINCT ?s ?score WHERE { ?s ?p ?l. ( ?l ?score ) <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/ARQ/property#textMatch> ( '*value' 0.5 50 ). }

Cannot parse '*value': '*' or '?' not allowed as first character in WildcardQuery

And here is the same result using http:

$ stardog query -c http://localhost:5822/myDb \
    -q "SELECT DISTINCT ?s ?score WHERE { ?s ?p ?l. ( ?l ?score ) <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/ARQ/property#textMatch> ( '*value' 0.5 50 ). }"
Executing Query:

SELECT DISTINCT ?s ?score WHERE { ?s ?p ?l. ( ?l ?score ) <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/ARQ/property#textMatch> ( '*value' 0.5 50 ). }

Error getting content in response to select query

Thanks,
Duane

Mike Grove

Mar 13, 2013, 5:23:54 PM3/13/13
to stardog
As we've mentioned here on the list, the next major version of Stardog (1.2) will include a new CLI, and this is one of the things we've addressed in the new version.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --