describe not working with reasoning

Håvard Ottestad

Jul 24, 2016, 6:28:25 AM7/24/16
to Stardog
Hi,

I'm on the latest version of the community edition, and I'm having some troubles with describe queries.

When I disable reasoning, the describe query returns a graph of the resource, but when I enable reasoning it returns nothing. Even if there is no Tbox.

My query is like this: "describe <http://example.org/resource1>"

Select queries are fine and return the expected results with or without reasoning.

Thanks,
Håvard

Michael Grove

Jul 25, 2016, 8:30:05 AM7/25/16
to stardog
On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Håvard Ottestad <hmott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on the latest version of the community edition, and I'm having some
> troubles with describe queries.
>
> When I disable reasoning, the describe query returns a graph of the
> resource, but when I enable reasoning it returns nothing. Even if there is
> no Tbox.

This is the expected result. We plan on extending describe to support
reasoning in the future, the ticket number is #2104. In the meantime,
you should just write a construct query that performs the reasoning
you want.

Cheers,

Mike

> My query is like this: "describe <http://example.org/resource1>"
>
> Select queries are fine and return the expected results with or without
> reasoning.
>
> Thanks,
> Håvard
>
> --
> -- --

Michael Grove

Jul 25, 2016, 8:37:20 AM7/25/16
to stardog
On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Michael Grove <mi...@stardog.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Håvard Ottestad <hmott...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm on the latest version of the community edition, and I'm having some
>> troubles with describe queries.
>>
>> When I disable reasoning, the describe query returns a graph of the
>> resource, but when I enable reasoning it returns nothing. Even if there is
>> no Tbox.

To clarify, did you mean that you're not getting the inferred results,
or you're not getting *any* results. Describe should work the same,
with or without reasoning.

Cheers,

Mike

Håvard Ottestad

Jul 25, 2016, 10:51:55 AM7/25/16
to Stardog
I'm not getting any results when I use reasoning.

But this is better than getting a wrong result. However an exception in the sesame stack would be even better. Something along the lines of UnsupportedOperation would be super helpful.

I've implemented the query with construct, and it works as expected.

Thank you for replying so quickly.