Google Groups

Re: [stardog-users] Unexplainable difference in loading times

Kendall Jun 22, 2012 7:04 AM
Posted in group: Stardog
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Laurens De Vocht <> wrote:

I don't understand how the difference can be explained, but prob it has to do smth with garbage collection? As during the loading of the triples memory consumption was 100% and prob Source 2 just 'fitted' in memory.

That is enormous variation, far beyond what we've ordinarily seen.
Any thoughts?

My first guess is that you should run a database for which you want good performance on a real computer, not on a virtual one (where I/O can be very bad, etc).

Beyond that, it could be GC, it could be something else.

We'll take a look and see if we can reproduce.
Also when idle and Stardog running loaded memory usage is about 3GB! Will it work on the cloud actually on a small instance with let's say 512 MB available for stardog?

Al Baker, who's on this list, is the world's expert on running Stardog on memory constrained systems, so maybe he'll chime in here.