Stardog on Windows

aml...@pitt.edu

Jul 2, 2012, 2:29:41 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hello,

I am currently trying to run Stardog using our universities unix Timesharing Service and in the quick guide I have completed setting up STARDOG_HOME and copying over the stardog license. Whenever I try to start stardog-admin I am greeted with this error: (this is with both windows 7 and XP)

Unrecognized VM option '+UseCompressedOops'

Whenever I try to ./stardog-admin server start I am greeted with:

./stardog-admin: mktemp: command not found
Failed to create a temporary file
Starting Stardog server in background, see stardog.log for more information.
./stardog-admin: [: -eq: unary operator expected
usage: tail [+/-[n][lbc][f]] [file]
       tail [+/-[n][l][r|f]] [file]

I am in the correct directory, I am not super experienced with unix which is definitely a problem. I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions to what the problem may be?

Thanks

Kendall Clark

Jul 2, 2012, 2:35:09 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM, <aml...@pitt.edu> wrote:
Hello,

I am currently trying to run Stardog using our universities unix Timesharing Service and in the quick guide I have completed setting up STARDOG_HOME and copying over the stardog license. Whenever I try to start stardog-admin I am greeted with this error: (this is with both windows 7 and XP)

You are trying to run Stardog on Unix or on Windows? They are profoundly different things.

Unrecognized VM option '+UseCompressedOops'

You must use a 64-bit JVM to run Stardog. This probably means you are trying to run on a 32-bit JVM, which isn't going to work.

But that's orthogonal to running on Unix or Windows.

Whenever I try to ./stardog-admin server start I am greeted with:

./stardog-admin: mktemp: command not found
Failed to create a temporary file
Starting Stardog server in background, see stardog.log for more information.
./stardog-admin: [: -eq: unary operator expected
usage: tail [+/-[n][lbc][f]] [file]
       tail [+/-[n][l][r|f]] [file]

Is this on Unix or Windows?

On Windows, use the provided .bat file to start Stardog.

If this is on Unix, what version of Unix and what shell?

I am in the correct directory, I am not super experienced with unix which is definitely a problem. I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions to what the problem may be?

My suggestion would be to help me understand which operating system you are trying to use. ;>

Cheers,
Kendall

aml...@pitt.edu

Jul 2, 2012, 3:04:13 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
I am currently trying to get it to work using either. All above errors occurred while trying to run Stardog on my universities Unix Timeshare (accessed via a windows pc).

Whenever I just try to open up the windows batch file (.bat) on my machines one running windows XP and the other running windows 7 it will just open a command prompt for approximately 2 seconds and just close.

Thanks

Kendall Clark

Jul 2, 2012, 3:08:27 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM, <aml...@pitt.edu> wrote:
I am currently trying to get it to work using either. All above errors occurred while trying to run Stardog on my universities Unix Timeshare (accessed via a windows pc).

Okay, that's a bit more helpful, but we're still a long way from being able to help you. We need to know:

1. what JDK is on that Unix box
2. what shell you are using on that Unix box
3. what version of Unix is running on that box

These are questions that, if you don't know how to answer them, are good for the university help desk. We can't really help you with basic Unix usage.

Whenever I just try to open up the windows batch file (.bat) on my machines one running windows XP and the other running windows 7 it will just open a command prompt for approximately 2 seconds and just close.

Right. But the stardog.bat has to be run with commands from a terminal; you can't just double click on it, as it won't know how to run itself without arguments.

The Quick Start Guide explains which arguments Stardog requires to run; you will need to pass those to it via the batch file. That's how command line programs work on Windows (and Unix).

Cheers,
Kendall

aml...@pitt.edu

Jul 2, 2012, 3:23:27 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Sorry,

I just have another question to ask if you don't mind answering. On the XP system I am using when I open any of the Batch files I get the same 2 seconds and close. When I run them on windows 7 both the stardog and stardog-admin batch file gives me the same 2 seconds and than close, but the stardog-shell will open and allow me to type out commands.

So this statement has me a little confused: "Right. But the stardog.bat has to be run with commands from a terminal; you can't just double click on it, as it won't know how to run itself without arguments.

The Quick Start Guide explains which arguments Stardog requires to run; you will need to pass those to it via the batch file. That's how command line programs work on Windows (and Unix)."

As I can't open the batch file so how do I pass those argument?

I am not going to ignore my complete lack of knowledge in the subject I am just trying to figure out what is meant by that statement. Basically if I can't double click on it to open up a command prompt to feed it arguments, how do I give it the arguments?

Kendall Clark

Jul 2, 2012, 3:32:43 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM, <aml...@pitt.edu> wrote:
Sorry,

I just have another question to ask if you don't mind answering. On the XP system I am using when I open any of the Batch files I get the same 2 seconds and close. When I run them on windows 7 both the stardog and stardog-admin batch file gives me the same 2 seconds and than close, but the stardog-shell will open and allow me to type out commands.

So this statement has me a little confused: "Right. But the stardog.bat has to be run with commands from a terminal; you can't just double click on it, as it won't know how to run itself without arguments.

The 2 commands that "run for 2 seconds and then quit" require arguments to be passed to them.

stardog-shell does *not* require arguments to be passed to it.

That explains the difference you are seeing.

The Quick Start Guide explains which arguments Stardog requires to run; you will need to pass those to it via the batch file. That's how command line programs work on Windows (and Unix)."

As I can't open the batch file so how do I pass those argument?

There is some kind of command running facility in Windows; you can pass arguments via it. Or you can open a terminal window and type the commands by hand.

Again, I can't really offer much help in how to do this on Windows as it's not an OS that I use daily.

I am not going to ignore my complete lack of knowledge in the subject I am just trying to figure out what is meant by that statement. Basically if I can't double click on it to open up a command prompt to feed it arguments, how do I give it the arguments?

Google is yr friend. The first link for "How do I run command line programs on Windows" looks very instructive:

Cheers,
Kendall

Rob Vesse

Jul 2, 2012, 3:34:48 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
The Stardog command line clients are not interactive, they run until they complete whatever operation you tell them to.

To run the batch scripts on Windows do the following:

  1. Fire up a windows command prompt (Start > Run > Type 'cmd' > Hit enter)
  2. Navigate to the directory where Stardog is installed (use cd commands)
  3. Ensure STARDOG_HOME is set (see if set STARDOG_HOME prints anything, if not type set STARDOG_HOME=C:\<Your Stardog Directory>)
  4. Run Stardog by typing stardog.bat or stardog-admin.bat
Rob

-- --
stardog+u...@clarkparsia.com
For more options, visit this group at

Kendall Clark

Jul 2, 2012, 3:41:47 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Rob Vesse <rav...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
The Stardog command line clients are not interactive, they run until they complete whatever operation you tell them to.

2 of the 3 are not interactive in the sense you mean; stardog-shell *is* interactive in the sense you mean. FYI.

Cheers,
Kendall

Rob Vesse

Jul 2, 2012, 3:43:22 PM7/2/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
My bad, wasn't aware of stardog-shell

Rob

From: Kendall Clark <ken...@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Monday, July 2, 2012 12:41 PM
To: <sta...@clarkparsia.com>
Subject: Re: [stardog-users] Stardog on Windows

-- --

aml...@pitt.edu

Jul 3, 2012, 8:52:46 AM7/3/12
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Thanks for all of the help guys, I have it up and running. Didn't realize it was as easy as using command prompt to delegate the commands.
I appreciate the quick responses.
Thanks
This conversation is locked