Support for CKAN Docker?

Derek Hohls

Mar 3, 2021, 6:10:50 AM3/3/21
to CKAN Development Discussions
(I'm new to the mailing list; so please alert me if this is the wrong place to post.)

We have used an older version of CKAN on a small project, but now have a much larger project planned, and I have been tasked to deploy and test an updated version of CKAN.

Our team is committed to using Docker (no "bare metal" installs for any software we deploy) but I have not had any success so far with building and running any recent version of CKAN Docker "out of the box" - issues 5572, 5896, 5925 logged on github all apply.

Does the dev team actively support Docker and make sure it runs? Is it deployed and used anywhere on "serious" production systems?

Any help or guidance with this is appreciated.

Derek

Jari Voutilainen

Mar 3, 2021, 7:38:32 AM3/3/21
to Derek Hohls, CKAN Development Discussions
Hi,

Often it is referred to docker images made by Keitaro https://github.com/keitaroinc/docker-ckan when these issues come up. As far as I know, none of the tech team members run CKAN with docker on production, so the "official" images aren't maintained as well as they should be. But the resources of the tech team are limited and they are better to be focused on issues with the code itself.

Regards,
Jari

Jari Voutilainen
jari.vou...@iki.fi
040-5538558

Derek

Mar 3, 2021, 8:37:53 AM3/3/21
to Jari Voutilainen, CKAN Development Discussions
Thanks for the reply Jari.

I appreciate that having working code is the most important thing.   However, having code that cannot easily be deployed and used does become a barrier.  These days (for better or worse) Docker is a very common way to do such deploys without many of the previous problems associated with a manual approach.

I will try the keitaro Docker even if, as you say, it's unofficial, to see if it can work.

Derek

Ori Hoch

Mar 3, 2021, 1:47:05 PM3/3/21
to CKAN Development Discussions, game...@gmail.com, CKAN Development Discussions, Jari Voutilainen
Hi, I'm running a few "serious" production deployments of CKAN based on the official CKAN docker image and I'm pretty sure there are others as well. The Keitaro Docker image is very good for production deployments but maybe a bit harder to use.

I haven't upgraded any production deployments to CKAN 2.9 yet, so not sure about that, it's quite new and has some big changes so it's possible the Docker setup there is not stable yet, you should try 2.8, I believe it's docker setup is stable as documented in the CKAN docs (make sure to use the relevant docs version for 2.8 - https://docs.ckan.org/en/2.8/maintaining/installing/install-from-docker-compose.html).

If you want to see some details, the latest version of deployment I use is based on Kubernetes Helm charts and a Python operator and is open source (but not so documented) in this repositories:

Marko Bocevski

Mar 3, 2021, 4:19:04 PM3/3/21
to Derek, CKAN Development Discussions
Hi Derek,

While Keitaro's docker images for CKAN https://github.com/keitaroinc/docker-ckan and respectively our Helm chart for CKAN https://github.com/keitaroinc/ckan-helm are 'unofficial'. Both our images and the helm chart are the preferred deployment of CKAN on docker and kubernetes based platforms. We officially support and actively maintain both those projects and provide zero-day releases and also include critical patches necessary for the operation of CKAN. We run in production _a lot_ of CKAN deployments across all major clouds and on-premise setups using our Docker images, so they are proven and built to be secure and performant. Feel free to try them out and reach out on gitter if you have any questions or if you find any issues or suggestions feel free to submit issues on Github.

Marko

Derek

Mar 4, 2021, 1:06:42 AM3/4/21
to CKAN Development Discussions
Thanks Marco and Ori for your help and suggestions. It is good to hear that Docker is a key part of how CKAN is used.

We are not ready for taking on Kubernetes as yet, so we will try Keitaro's docker images as suggested.

The only suggestion I would make is that perhaps the docs pages (https://docs.ckan.org/en/2.9/maintaining/installing/install-from-docker-compose.html) could be updated to note that:

1. There is no guarantee that the method outlined will result in a successfully running build; and
2.  That a pointer is added near the top to link to these repos for those just wanting to have a readily available working version.

Ori Hoch

Mar 4, 2021, 1:15:06 AM3/4/21
to Marko Bocevski, Derek, CKAN Development Discussions
Nice work Marco on the documentation and the helm chart, will check it out.