ckan local dev environment

skept...@gmail.com

May 13, 2021, 4:41:33 PM5/13/21
to CKAN Development Discussions
hello,

i'm new to ckan development but have worked with django and other frameworks for some time. i'm starting a new project with ckan and am looking for the best way to manage my source code in a traditional way with github version control and such. i've followed the install from source instructions, including the symlink to local system directories (/etc and /usr) which makes sense. however, i'm struggling to understand how if ckan is installed in a virtual environment, how can i share this with another developer for them to setup and dev locally? maybe i've missed something or this is a dense question, but any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

one last try to be as specific as possible. if i want to share my ckan application code with another developer (ie. git clone my-repo-name), if they install all the packages including ckan, wouldn't that wipe out all the templates, etc, in the src/ directory or conflict in some way? what is the best way to organize and manage a ckan application's source code?

my apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else.

thanks,
john

Chris Wood

May 13, 2021, 4:59:49 PM5/13/21
to skept...@gmail.com, CKAN Development Discussions
Hi John,

My advice would be to make changes as part of an extension, and to install this extension from a repo checkout. Some basic instructions for writing extensions are in the docs: https://docs.ckan.org/en/2.9/extensions/tutorial.html

You can see how other extensions modify CKAN by looking their code: https://extensions.ckan.org/

Chris

skept...@gmail.com

May 13, 2021, 5:37:23 PM5/13/21
to CKAN Development Discussions, c.c....@gmail.com, CKAN Development Discussions, skept...@gmail.com
OH, nice. didn't even think about that. thank you very much, I will look into this.

John