ckanext-shibboleth

André Langer

Apr 7, 2021, 1:02:39 PM4/7/21
to CKAN Development Discussions
Hello together,

has anybody of you been able to use a ShibbolethAuthenticator plugin with a recent CKAN release, such as 2.9.X?

The shibboleth extension plugin mentioned by extensions.ckan.org seems to not exist any longer on GitHub.

We found the geosolutions ckanext-shibboleth implementation (https://github.com/geosolutions-it/ckanext-shibboleth ) , which looks promising, but was only tested based on CKAN 2.4 and in our case currently results in an error with CKAN 2.9.

RuntimeError: Attempted to generate a URL without the application context being pushed. This has to be executed when application context is available

The SSO authentication process via our university identity provider works fine and the user is returned to the CKAN service application but not signed on in any way.

We do not have further deep knowledge what has changed between CKAN 2.4 and CKAN 2.9 or what might go wrong with the extension, but wonder if no other institution has already made experience with connecting CKAN to an SSO infrastructure.

Thanks for your reply

André

--

Dipl.-Inf. André Langer
Research Associate

Technische Universität Chemnitz
Straße der Nationen 62 | 1/B203 (neu: A11.203)
09111 Chemnitz
Germany

Kris Warner

Apr 12, 2021, 12:17:43 PM4/12/21
to André Langer, CKAN Development Discussions
This isn't the same plugin as you were referring to, but it may suit your needs. I updated this oauth2 plugin to be compatible with CKAN 2.9.

It has not been extensively tested (and is indeed probably still failing a lot of the automated tests) and I haven't updated the documentation (pull requests welcome!), hence why I haven't submitted it as an extension. But it has worked for our needs of authenticating via Google.

Kris Warner
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission