Asking for your input for CKAN 3.0 product strategy

Alex Gostev

Jun 2, 2022, 10:05:20 AM6/2/22
to ckan...@ckan.org

Hi.

Messaging you as you’re a part of the CKAN community. I’m leading a research initiative that should result in forming a CKAN 3.0 product strategy. Thus, I’m really interested in having a conversation with you to hear more about how you see the development of CKAN as a platform.

As a starting point, please let me know a bit more about you through this form: https://th5tyr7ldfd.typeform.com/to/YmHwvLW8?typeform-source=github.com at the end of it you can book a meeting and I encourage you to do so as it’s the best way for me to understand your perspective and needs.

Thank you, hope to talk to you soon.

Alex Gostev

CKAN Interim Product Manager

Marko Bocevski

Jun 2, 2022, 10:35:07 AM6/2/22
to Alex Gostev, ckan...@ckan.org
Hi Alex,

For the sake of transparency will all results and information that you would be collecting with typeform be made available to everyone? Otherwise why collect all the personal information? I don’t see how that helps CKAN, the product or the community, but I can see how it can benefit other parties…

Marko

Adrià Mercader

Jun 2, 2022, 11:44:15 AM6/2/22
to Marko Bocevski, Alex Gostev, CKAN DEV
Marko,

T'he personal information (name, email and org) is being collected to perform the interviews, it is difficult to see how Alex could schedule them otherwise. I don't think the personal details should be made available publicly for obvious privacy concerns. Or at least we should ask for consent before doing so. Maybe we can publish aggregates of the sectors the people interviewed works on to make sure we have good representation on all of them but that's as far as I would go.

Alex has presented his plan in a dedicated community call, presented the questionnaire for feedback and made clear he is available for any feedback so I think the process has been transparent so far.

Adrià

Marko Bocevski

Jun 2, 2022, 12:09:52 PM6/2/22
to Adrià Mercader, Alex Gostev, CKAN DEV
I understand that, but it's a person employed by Link Digital - a for-profit organization that offers CKAN services. I also got a personal email from Alex asking me to share this form with our customer base. There is a point when this long running charade has to stop, I think the community deserves better, considering the behind-the-doors deal that the "stewards" - Link Digital and Datopian did has provided zero value to CKAN and the CKAN community. That is pretty evident in plain sight, otherwise where are all the benefits and accomplishments that the stewards did? Where is the % of profit that they contributed to Open Knowledge Foundation?

Who owns the typeform account where data is collected? I would bet that it's owned by Link Digital and not the CKAN Association or the CKAN community. Want to prove me wrong add me (or anyone else from Keitaro) and other organizations/for-profits etc. to the typeform account.

At the end of the day, the year is 2022 and there are tons of ways for people to leave feedback without talking to someone or providing personal information, if that is really "the goal" of Alex.

Marko

Patricio Del Boca

Jun 3, 2022, 7:58:50 AM6/3/22
to CKAN Development Discussions, Marko Bocevski, Alex Gostev, CKAN DEV, Adrià Mercader
Thanks Alex!

As we talked in the CKAN Dev Meeting, I think this is a good step forward to try to get a Roadmap for CKAN 3.0.

Looking forward to talk to you next week!

Regards,

Steven De Costa

Jun 3, 2022, 11:55:52 PM6/3/22
to CKAN Development Discussions, Marko Bocevski, alex....@linkdigital.com.au, CKAN DEV, Adrià Mercader
Heya Marko,

It is really great to see you remain passionate about CKAN, just as so many of us in the community are.

I did an overview of the intentions behind Alex's current activity around CKAN 3.0 in April and you can watch the recording here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeWKdQsAdJA

Alex is new to CKAN and has been put on a contract to solely work on this project, so although he may have a Link Digital email it shouldn't make you worry that he is working for the benefit of Link's business objectives.  We have other people working to advance Link's business objectives and we are pretty strict about compartmentalising the activities of folks like Brett Jones and Alex Gostev :)

For the typeform account, this is something Alex has setup.  He has asked me to add a credit card to it to unlock some other features but aside from that I'm not expecting or desiring access to personal or other details from this account.  What I'm hoping for is just to contribute to the process Alex is running, no differently to anyone else in the community.  As the project sponsor of this initiative I've certainly arranged to fund Alex's work through Link Digital at a cost of around $12,000 USD per quarter, but I do keep telling him that mine is just one voice and he needs to find and listen to many such voices.

I shared your email with Alex because I thought you would appreciate the opportunity to contribute and I really didn't want you to be left out.  I shared the emails of a bunch of CEO type folks with Alex and we are simply trying to open the doors for broad participation.

If you are still concerned about any aspect of Alex's process please take up the opportunity to meet with him and ask questions.  If you have concerns about Link Digital or Datopian, then feel free to organise a call with me and/or Rufus.  We are both absolutely happy to speak with anyone in the community at any time.  For my part, I always share ideas for CKAN initiatives to the Tech Team as a priority.  I introduced the idea of putting Alex on the job of CKAN 3.0 to them before presenting in April.  Similarly, the tech team were involved in various stages of the CKAN website redesign process.

Link's contributions into CKAN have consistently exceeded the 10% level that was written into the co-stewardship agreement. Brett's wage alone put's above the mark almost every year, but we are always looking for ways to do more.  The 3.0 work Alex is doing is pretty exciting for everyone at Link and we are really looking forward to seeing some of the results.  It would be amazing to see Keitaro support Alex's work as we do need everyone's perspectives influencing the CKAN 3.0 product strategy.

Cheers,
Steven

Alex Gostev

Jun 4, 2022, 8:09:10 AM6/4/22
to Steven De Costa, CKAN Development Discussions, Marko Bocevski, Adrià Mercader
Hi, everybody.

I'm keen to talk to everyone in the list about CKAN's future. More to that, if you know anyone who's interested in sharing own ideas and perspectives on how make CKAN a better product for him/her, please share my contact or the survey form https://th5tyr7ldfd.typeform.com/to/YmHwvLW8

@Marko Bocevski Thanks for replying. I hear your concerns. I'd be happy to have a conversation with you as you're a part of the CKAN community. Any other questions you have, besides what Steven wrote, I'll do my best to address. Just share what time spots you have next week and we can have a call or simply book any time convenient for you and I'll reply back if it doesn't fit the current schedule.

@patriciodelboca Looking forward to having a conversation with you! The standard meeting time is 30 mins, but if you have more to say we can easily make it longer. I've sent you the consent form, please check it before the meeting.

It's quite impressive to be a part of the CKAN community. After some conversations that took place already I have a sense that people that are here are open-minded problem-solvers with a global outlook. Good people around make you a bit better, so I'm grateful to Steven for bringing me in. From the first day he said that he doesn't want to influence CKAN development personally, rather being a peer to everybody else in the community. So I see my mission in hearing everyone I can reach then to produce a coherent strategy for CKAN 3.0. I can't succeed without you being involved!

Thank you and have a nice weekend,
Alex.
--
ALEX GOSTEV | PRODUCT MANAGER