A Call for a Paradigm Shift in the Concept and Measurement of Wellbeing - Cyberseminar on "The Demography of Sustainable Human Wellbeing"

Aayushma K.C.

Mar 15, 2022, 10:45:44 AM3/15/22
to PERNSeminars - List
Dear all,

Today’s statement titled “More than the sum of its parts: A call for a paradigm shift in the concept and measurement of wellbeing”, a very interesting thought piece by Vanessa di Lego, has been posted and can be seen on the seminar page here, as well as attached below. Di Lego goes into a philosophical and historical introduction of what constitutes wellbeing, and how it should be measured, gathering that after all this time, we still struggle to conclusively define and measure wellbeing. She acknowledges that there is significant progress over the past decade on comprehensive assessments of human wellbeing, including the valuable new indicator, Years of Good Life (YoGL). However, she speaks of the inherent issue of wellbeing studied as fragmented pieces by different disciplines and calls for achieving a synergic or holistic view by looking at wellbeing as something more than just the sum of its parts.

I am sure you will find this an inspiring and thought-provoking piece to read and respond to. Please share your thoughts, comments or questions with us all in this forum.

Sincerely,

Aayushma

A call for a paradigm shift - di Lego.pdf