HTML5 Limit : ApplicationCache size only 5MB

Bobo

Jul 22, 2010, 5:46:08 AM7/22/10
to Chromium HTML5
Hi,
the limit of applicationCache size is only 5MB? Is it true? Why? Can I
change the maximum size? My application is much larger... :(

Michael Nordman

Jul 22, 2010, 7:42:05 PM7/22/10
to Bobo, Chromium HTML5
There is no good way to up that limit on actual end user systems yet, however there is a way to increase that limit if you have physical access to the machine. Involves inserting a row into an sqlite database table.

The db file path for chromium and chrome on windows vista look like...
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Application Cache\Index
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Application Cache

Here's the sql statement to run...
  insert into Quota values("http://127.0.0.1:8008/", 100000000);
You can run that command using the sqlite3 command line tool available here, http://www.sqlite.org/download.html. Put whatever origin url you'd to give more storage to in there.

As for why and what we're doing about it...

1) The model chrome uses for limiting local storage usage is just a stop gap for now. We have yet to design or build a quota management system. We have conflicting goals to balance and just haven't done it yet.
- make storage freely available for use by webapps
- never prompt the user for permission to use storage or burden them with having to manage these resources
We're looking to balance those conflicting requirements within the storage related APIs that have been adopted (more or less) within the standards bodies.

2) Chrome Applications get unlimited storage if they request it in their chromeapp manifest file. That should include unlimited appcache storage. Chrome webapp support is available in the dev channel (i think), but unlimited storage does not yet extend to unlimited appcache storage. I'll put together a CL for that very soon. http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=49993

3) We're interested in pushing the stds bodies to specify more explicit means for webapps to negotiate with users for rights to do things like use local resources.

Wasik Mursalin Rushafi

Jul 23, 2010, 12:18:30 AM7/23/10
to mich...@chromium.org, Bobo, Chromium HTML5
What about caching Native Client application? So far NaCl modules are statically linked and sizes well over 5mb in most of the cases. So if I want to cache a NaCl based web application what would I do?
--
Rushafi

Jeremy Orlow

Jul 26, 2010, 8:09:00 AM7/26/10
to Wasik Mursalin Rushafi, mich...@chromium.org, Bobo, Chromium HTML5
You have a couple options: use an extension (they can request unlimited storage), chrome web app (ditto), or just let the browser's built in cache do its thing.

As Michael mentioned, we're not satisfied with the status quo, but it's not an easy problem to solve.  Hopefully we'll get to it sooner rather than later.

John Dale

Aug 15, 2013, 7:31:34 AM8/15/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, Wasik Mursalin Rushafi, mich...@chromium.org, Bobo
Has a setting been added into Chrome for this, yet?

IndexDB's API is a mess.  Not interested.

LocalStorage works great for my needs.

Another question - if Chrome crashes in mid write to LocalStorage, what happens?

Sangamesh P H

May 28, 2014, 8:32:15 AM5/28/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Hi Guys,

Im stuck with this issue,
My app needs atleast 49 MB for offline showing.

Is this solved now? Or else i was exploring options to bump up or increase the 5 MB limit using App request.

Please let me know if anyone has implemented it.

Thanks.,
Sangamesh

marc fawzi

May 29, 2014, 9:28:08 AM5/29/14
to Sangamesh P H, chromiu...@chromium.org
Re-CCing the list

I know it's available for Chrome extensions and apps. Not sure if it's possible for regular web apps, unless you use the FileSystem API (the docs might be outdated so IndexedDB may have this ability now in regular web apps, but I'm not really sure, better ask the chromium devs)

Take a look at the FileSystem API

You cam request more quota thru the quota management API

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Sangamesh P H <sanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
hi Marc,
Yes, I'm talking about regular web app.

Could you please share a link or code how to set this unlimited storage ?

Thanks,
Sammi

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM, marc fawzi <marc....@gmail.com> wrote:
I believe unlimitedStiorage permission solves it for Extensions and Apps. Are you talking about a regular web app?

With warm wishes
Sammi.