HTML5 Limit : WebDB size only 5MB

dflorey

Aug 3, 2010, 5:35:53 AM8/3/10
to Chromium HTML5
I'm using WebDB to replicate some data to the client to enable more
sophisticated queries and performance improvements.
Right now I'm facing a 5 MB limit even when requesting some Gig of
storage space when opening the local DB.
Any ideas?

Jeremy Orlow

Aug 3, 2010, 5:39:55 AM8/3/10
to dflorey, Chromium HTML5
How are you requesting it?  I don't think we have any mechanism to do anything like that.

5mb is a hard limit.  Extensions can request more.  Web apps will be able to soon.  A more general solution is a bit further out.

Jeremy Orlow

Aug 3, 2010, 5:58:03 AM8/3/10
to Daniel Florey, Chromium HTML5
Oh, yes, that param.  It's really just advisory.  Most browsers just ignored it up until recently.  And even now, I'm not aware of anyone other than Opera looking at it.

We discussed the infobar based approach some time ago but decided against it because 99% of users will have absolutely no idea what it means and thus can't make an informed decision.  Sure you or I would rather have something like this, but Chrome is designed for the common user--not the power user.

We've been discussing some other approaches internally, but it's a really hard problem, and we haven't come up with any solutions we really like yet.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Daniel Florey <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thans for your quick response.

I'm using something like this (thin GWT wrapper around javascript calls):

Database.openDatabase("UCM-" + email, "1.0", "Universal Contact
Manager", 100000000);

On Opera this triggers a popup requesting ~100MB of storage space for
this particular database. On chrome the 5MB limit remains.

Daniel

Jeremy Orlow

Aug 3, 2010, 7:46:24 AM8/3/10
to Daniel Florey, Chromium HTML5
I hope you don't mind, but I keep pushing this back on list so that it's archived since this keeps coming up.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Daniel Florey <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be best to have a streamlined permissions dialog
similar to the Gears permissions dialog.

We're not terribly happy with the UI that was there for Gears.  We think we can do better than that.  And we want to have a good solution for when websites fill up your hard drive _before_ it happens to some users.

Also note that the demographic of people using Chrome isn't necessarily the same as Gears'.  My intuition is that it's much less tech savvy.

I have no clue if it is too complicated for the common user, but is
chrome dealing with geolocation permissions etc?

Geolocaiton is much easier to explain to users: this website wants to know your current location.  Disk space is a more difficult concept to convey in 10-15 words.  That said, we're still not super happy that we had to resort to an info bar in even that situation and wish we could have come up with a better user experience.

I don't think it is more complicated to allow something like "this
webpage is requesting 100MB of free disk space" than geolocation or
other security settings.

Is it possible to get unlimited storage when using the crx manifest?
I've not yet tried that one.

As I said, Chrome web apps will soon have the ability to request unlimited space (there's a bug filed somewhere) and extensions already have it.

Daniel

Daniel Florey

Aug 3, 2010, 8:39:30 AM8/3/10
to Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
I just checked how this is handled in Safari:
In the options of Safari the user can specify the default db size.
When requesting a new db with size > default, the user has to grant
permissions for the requested size in a popup dialog.
If you want to check out how this looks like I can send you the URL of my app.

Daniel

PhistucK

Aug 4, 2010, 2:25:02 PM8/4/10
to Daniel Florey, Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
(I am sure) they know how it looks like and they do not approve this kind of behavior for Chrome, because, as he wrote, people do not really understand what the browser tell them when they see it.

☆PhistucK

Daniel Florey

Aug 4, 2010, 2:42:29 PM8/4/10
to PhistucK, Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
If this is true I would prefer to at least set the default size for
the locale storage to unlimited space.
Right now the only way to build a html5 app that requires local
storage on chrome is to use gears :-(

PhistucK

Aug 4, 2010, 2:57:21 PM8/4/10
to Daniel Florey, Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
Or use extensions (or Chrome Web Apps... once it is stable).

☆PhistucK

Bess

Aug 5, 2010, 6:59:44 PM8/5/10
to Chromium HTML5
How do you load the data from server-side database to browser WebDB?
Anyone can refer a link? Any tools that can make the data uploading to
browser easily?

I like Safari approach asking user to grants db size request. 5MB is
too small. Even Gmail allow you to send up to 20MB file. 5MB is good
enough for text file but it won't be able to serve other media file
well such as audio and image.

It's nice to be able to play audio within browser offline.

On Aug 4, 11:57 am, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or use extensions (or Chrome Web Apps... once it is stable).
>
> ☆PhistucK
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 21:42, Daniel Florey <daniel.flo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If this is true I would prefer to at least set the default size for
> > the locale storage to unlimited space.
> > Right now the only way to build a html5 app that requires local
> > storage on chrome is to use gears :-(
>
> > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 20:25, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > (I am sure) they know how it looks like and they do not approve this kind
> > of
> > > behavior for Chrome, because, as he wrote, people do not really
> > understand
> > > what the browser tell them when they see it.
> > > ☆PhistucK

> > my

> > it's
> > daniel.flo...@gmail.com>

> > will

> > daniel.flo...@gmail.com>

> > .
>
> >http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-html5/?hl=en.

> > .

PhistucK

Aug 6, 2010, 2:12:06 AM8/6/10
to Bess, Chromium HTML5
Well, it is done through JavaScript, using SQL statements.
Say, you create an HTML table using server side code and then collect the data from the table using JavaScript and add it into a Web SQL Databases table.
Go to http://playground.html5rocks.com/#basic for code samples.

☆PhistucK

PhistucK

Aug 6, 2010, 7:44:14 AM8/6/10
to Daniel Florey, Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
By the way -
The unlimited storage permission will be implemented really soon now (on trunk). :)
And the Chrome Web Apps are enabled by default already (on trunk).
So, it should ship as part of Chrome 7 (a month an a half after Chrome 6 ships, which is in about less than two month).

Note that these time frames are not official and are only estimates.

☆PhistucK

Daniel Florey

Aug 6, 2010, 7:56:54 AM8/6/10
to PhistucK, Jeremy Orlow, Chromium HTML5
Thanks a lot for the info! I still think there should be a way for
plain websites (not chrome web apps) to request more local db storage.
Right now any offline capable website (like GMail) has to use Gears
instead of HTML5 on chrome, so I guess the chrome team will come up
with a solution to enable GMail / Google docs offline capabilities on
top of HTML5 without forcing the user to install a crx.

Jeremy Orlow

Aug 6, 2010, 8:00:38 AM8/6/10
to Daniel Florey, PhistucK, Chromium HTML5
I agree.  And like I said, people are looking at a couple ideas that we're considering proposing to the w3c on how to move forward without requiring the user to answer questions they don't understand that allocate a chunk of hard drive space that realistically the average user is not going to know how to revoke.  Hopefully we'll have something ready to propose before too much longer.

PhistucK

Mar 22, 2011, 11:44:04 AM3/22/11
to Sam Dutton, Chromium HTML5
Please, keep the list as a CC recipient so others could benefit.

The "unlimitedStorage" permission is available for extensions and for hosted and packaged apps, as well.
In order to allow you to get this permission, the user must install your app (meaning, you will have to create an app for your website).
You can upload your app to the Chrome Web Store, or you can host it on your server (with an extra warning and an installation confirmation).

There is no other way, currently.

PhistucK

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 17:28, Sam Dutton <sam.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any idea of the state of this now?

Is there any way to get Chrome to ask for permission to use more
storage space?

I've used the unlimited storage permission in a Chrome extension --
wondering if there's something similar for a plain old web page.

In Chromium 10.0.626.0 (70340) I don't get a warning, but in Chrome
10.0.648.151 beta (at least) I get a 'not enough remaining storage'
error when attempting to create a database more than a couple of
thousand rows in size.

Sam