Canvas game performance cut to shreds in Chrome 15 (worked fine in 14 and 16.)

Andrew Rabon

Nov 1, 2011, 5:20:17 AM11/1/11
to Chromium HTML5
My HTML5 canvas game 4kg: Prototype
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/diehlhlajmgkfjhfihpklmielklmcgki
had fine performance in Chrome 11, 12, 13, and 14. But when Chrome 15
was released, performance plummeted on my system and at least one
other user's (most recent review.) It runs fine in Chrome 16, even
better than before actually. It's kind of lame this has happened,
could I get an explanation? Probably has something to do with the new
"GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D" feature, but since I assume I'm running a
blacklisted card it backfired, or something.

This is seriously lame. I haven't touched the code in months and all
of a sudden performance stinks. Awesome. Welcome to the future of
HTML5 gaming I suppose.

Drew Wilson

Nov 1, 2011, 12:30:15 PM11/1/11
to Andrew Rabon, Chromium HTML5
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that :(

To get to the bottom of this, I'd say the best thing to do would be to
log a bug at crbug.com, describing which platforms (OS, video card)
you saw the performance degradation on, and exactly what issues you
encountered (slow drawing speed, slow javascript execution, slow
scrolling, etc).

-atw

PhistucK

Nov 1, 2011, 1:38:48 PM11/1/11
to Drew Wilson, Andrew Rabon, Chromium HTML5
Do you think it can help Chrome 15 (Andrew mentioned that the bug is gone on Chrome 16)?

PhistucK

Drew Wilson

Nov 1, 2011, 1:59:13 PM11/1/11
to PhistucK, Andrew Rabon, Chromium HTML5
Not sure if we'd be willing to push a fix for this to the stable
channel, but we *do* try not to cause performance regressions so it's
a possibility - I think it depends on the cause.

At the very least, understanding the issue further would allow us to
make sure it doesn't happen again (and improve our perf testing
infrastructure to avoid similar regressions in the future).

-atw

Andrew Rabon

Nov 1, 2011, 7:19:56 PM11/1/11
to Chromium HTML5
Bug report: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=102561&thanks=102561&ts=1320188553

The issue seems to be slow everything, it's hard for me to say since
I'm not an expert. Slow drawing speed maybe? Seems like it's 1-2
frames per second.

On Nov 1, 12:30 pm, Drew Wilson <atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that :(
>
> To get to the bottom of this, I'd say the best thing to do would be to
> log a bug at crbug.com, describing which platforms (OS, video card)
> you saw the performance degradation on, and exactly what issues you
> encountered (slow drawing speed, slow javascript execution, slow
> scrolling, etc).
>
> -atw
>

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Andrew Rabon <andrewra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My HTML5 canvas game 4kg: Prototype
> >https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/diehlhlajmgkfjhfihpklmielkl...
> > had fine performance in Chrome 11, 12, 13, and 14. But when Chrome 15
> > was released, performance plummeted on my system and at least one
> > other user's (most recent review.) It runs fine in Chrome 16, even
> > better than before actually. It's kind of lame this has happened,
> > could I get an explanation? Probably has something to do with the new
> > "GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D" feature, but since I assume I'm running a
> > blacklisted card it backfired, or something.
>
> > This is seriously lame. I haven't touched the code in months and all
> > of a sudden performance stinks. Awesome. Welcome to the future of
> > HTML5 gaming I suppose.

Andrew Rabon

Nov 1, 2011, 7:21:26 PM11/1/11
to Chromium HTML5
For Chrome 16, I was mistaken. It seemed like it was resolved in 16
since I have a dev version with different levels that works fine in
Canary (which I didn't realize was 17), but it seems to be the levels
themselves. The third level in Prototype works fine in Canary, but
still suffers in stable.

On Nov 1, 1:38 pm, PhistucK <phist...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you think it can help Chrome 15 (Andrew mentioned that the bug is gone
> on Chrome 16)?
>
> ☆*PhistucK*
>

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 18:30, Drew Wilson <atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that :(
>
> > To get to the bottom of this, I'd say the best thing to do would be to
> > log a bug at crbug.com, describing which platforms (OS, video card)
> > you saw the performance degradation on, and exactly what issues you
> > encountered (slow drawing speed, slow javascript execution, slow
> > scrolling, etc).
>
> > -atw
>
> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Andrew Rabon <andrewra...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > My HTML5 canvas game 4kg: Prototype
>
> >https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/diehlhlajmgkfjhfihpklmielkl...
> > > had fine performance in Chrome 11, 12, 13, and 14. But when Chrome 15
> > > was released, performance plummeted on my system and at least one
> > > other user's (most recent review.) It runs fine in Chrome 16, even
> > > better than before actually. It's kind of lame this has happened,
> > > could I get an explanation? Probably has something to do with the new
> > > "GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D" feature, but since I assume I'm running a
> > > blacklisted card it backfired, or something.
>
> > > This is seriously lame. I haven't touched the code in months and all
> > > of a sudden performance stinks. Awesome. Welcome to the future of
> > > HTML5 gaming I suppose.
>
> > > --
> >http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-html5/?hl=en.

Support Remote

Nov 2, 2011, 1:17:15 PM11/2/11
to Chromium HTML5
Chrome 15 enabled GPU accelerated Cnavas 2D as default, that make
getImgeData dramatically slower.

Here is another bug report about this:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=82559&can=5&colspec=ID%20Pri%20Mstone%20ReleaseBlock%20Area%20Feature%20Status%20Owner%20Summary

Walter

Andrew Rabon

Nov 16, 2011, 4:44:41 PM11/16/11
to Chromium HTML5
This seems like it's been fixed as of November 16. Yay! Thank you
Chrome team.

On Nov 1, 4:20 am, Andrew Rabon <andrewra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My HTML5 canvas game 4kg: Prototypehttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/diehlhlajmgkfjhfihpklmielkl...

Andrew Rabon