MStone:5 Schedule Update - String freeze is still today, branching for beta will happen a week later

1 view

Anthony LaForge

Apr 2, 2010, 6:24:34 PM4/2/10
to chromium-dev
Howdy folks,

As you are probably aware today is the feature complete/ string freeze date for 5.0, that is not changing.  Originally, however, I was planning on branching for the final beta after today, however, in light of the current bug counts on Mstone:5 that no longer seems prudent, so we are shifting back the branch date by one week (with no room for additional extensions).  Given the number of anticipated CLs, I want to try and avoid some of the troubles that we've seen in the past (e.g. 4.1) with a week long mass merge exercise on to the beta channel.

Aside from the change in date of the branch point, all other dates on the schedule still are fixed.  Given the importance, I want to reiterate, the string freeze date is not changing, please do not plan on having translations for any strings landed on trunk after today.
  • April 2nd [Friday] - Feature/String Freeze for 5.0 (i.e. all the features that are planned to be in for 5.0 should be in w/ string by this point)
  • April 12th [Monday] - Select a build (post 4/2) for 5.0 branch point/ Dev channel
  • April 19th-23rd [Week of] - 5.0 Beta channel release (Stability and bug fixes only)
  • April 30th [Friday] - Code Complete for 5.0
  • TBD - 5.0 Stable Channel Release (Release quality will dictate timing)
We still have a ways to go, but thus far everyone has done a fantastic job on this release, particularly boiling down a rather large list of issues in such a short time.  I'm very excited to see the features get the remaining polish they need and getting 5.0 out to users.

Kind Regards,

Anthony Laforge
Technical Program Manager
Mountain View, CA