signed http for restful api

1 view

Steve Chen

Feb 16, 2021, 8:47:55 PM2/16/21
to webpack...@chromium.org
Hi,

I have a question regarding signed http exchanges: as I understand it, the current tools are used to package static web content. Can it be used for API endpoints?

Thanks,
Steve

Jeffrey Yasskin

Feb 17, 2021, 7:23:01 PM2/17/21
to Steve Chen, webpack...@chromium.org
An API endpoint could certainly serve a signed exchange. The client would just need to understand it. To make it worthwhile, you'd want the client to also be able to use the signature to get some benefit over having only received an unsigned response.

Steve Chen

Feb 19, 2021, 1:24:09 AM2/19/21
to Jeffrey Yasskin, webpack...@chromium.org
Ok, thanks.

The demo tools in the GitHub repo were meant for manually packaging a web page.  So the API server would have to "package" every response dynamically, right?  There needs to be some dynamic packaging tools on the API server end for this, right?

Steve Chen

Feb 19, 2021, 1:24:14 AM2/19/21
to Jeffrey Yasskin, webpack...@chromium.org
To follow up on my previous email, can we just "package" everything that a particular http server serves (kind of like packaging/encoding the whole stream), instead of each individual page?

Kinuko Yasuda

Feb 24, 2021, 7:17:27 PM2/24/21
to Steve Chen, Jeffrey Yasskin, webpack...@chromium.org, Yoav Weiss, Hayato Ito
Hi Steve,

Signed exchange is basically for a single request/response, while what you're asking about might be about packaging multiple responses?

There are proposals that are called 'Bundles' (which are orthogonal to Signed exchanges) in the area, though their spec's still under discussion, and you're right that some dynamic packaging tool needs to exist on the server side either case (@Yoav Weiss has been actively exploring this space).

Here are some pointers:

If you're interested in packaging and serving an entire page/site (this is probably the closest):

If you're interested in serving a set of resources on a page:
https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/main/explainers/subresource-loading.md

Steve Chen

Feb 24, 2021, 7:51:00 PM2/24/21
to Kinuko Yasuda, Jeffrey Yasskin, webpack...@chromium.org, Yoav Weiss, Hayato Ito