WebTransport over HTTP/2

Kershaw Jang

Sep 18, 2023, 5:48:24 AM9/18/23
to web-transport-dev
Hi,

I'm researching the WebTransport over HTTP/2 protocol and wanted to reach out. I'd like to understand if Google has any near-term plans for its implementation. Additionally, does anyone know of any server-side implementations related to this?
Any insights or references to existing discussions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kershaw

Victor Vasiliev

Sep 18, 2023, 12:14:26 PM9/18/23
to Kershaw Jang, web-transport-dev
Hi Kershaw,

We are currently working on an implementation of WebTransport over HTTP/2.  Our main motivation at this point is to have a protocol we can use for proxy-to-backend communication, so actual use of it in Chrome might be further away, but it will hopefully have a usable server.

Hope this helps,
  Victor.

web-transport-dev

Sep 19, 2023, 1:55:00 AM9/19/23
to web-transport-dev, Victor Vasiliev, web-transport-dev, Kershaw Jang
Hi,
I am working on a native node.js implementation (so no quiche wrapper) on my webtransport node.js plugin:
fails-components/webtransport at http2 (github.com)
But I am not there yet, it is in the moment incomplete and untested code. But this will change soon.
As no browser support it yet, I will probably add polyfill to wrap it over websocket.
Main obstacle is in the moment, that the ids in hte spec seem to be placeholder.....

Best,
Marten

Marten Richter

Sep 30, 2023, 1:59:25 PM9/30/23
to web-transport-dev, Marten Richter, Victor Vasiliev, web-transport-dev, Kershaw Jang
Hi,
so the first basic implementation at
now passes my old tests. (New ones not tested yet).
So basic functionality may be used as a server for testing.
(Of course not everything, so no flow control, the clients lacks certificate verification with fingerprint, as there are limits in current node.js).
So it may help, if you want to implement a client, but probably not bug free.
Best,

Marten

Eric Pham

Nov 9, 2023, 9:24:27 AM11/9/23
to web-transport-dev, Marten Richter, Victor Vasiliev, web-transport-dev, Kershaw Jang

Marten Richter

Dec 27, 2023, 4:38:42 AM12/27/23
to web-transport-dev, Eric Pham, Marten Richter, Victor Vasiliev, web-transport-dev, Kershaw Jang
Hi,
my http/2 implementation now also works in my test app (at least the mapping to the WebSocket protocol). A lot of bugs were fixed. Flow control was just added. Certificate verification was also implemented.
The only thing that is missing is receiving and sending the initial HTTP SETTINGS for flow control, etc. The main problem is the lack of support in the underlying lib in node.js.
Sending settings work for the current node.js main branch, but receiving is still not supported.

Also, the http/2 protocol is mapped over the WebSocket protocol (a new ponyfill/polyfill for the browser); I will going to write a spec down soon...

A release will come soon.
Best,

Marten